
I was two years old. I vaguely remember my parents leaving, the nervous excitement in the air. I remember really wanting to go with them but not being allowed, and I was eating bananas. My young life was about to change forever. Ive been told that she was born with lots of hair, and tipped the scales at a big 9 lbs 1 oz. She was also born really short so she felt like a football, but all that was irrelevant to me. What did matter was that my lifelong friend, my sister made her way into my life that day.
My Lil Sis is still short, she has curly hair and snappy green eyes. Shes not afraid to speak her mind and she loves to laugh. Shes always laughing. I kept her out of trouble and she helped me make friends and get out of my comfort zone. We evened each other out. She was the loud one and I was quiet. We had lots of fun together.

Where do you being with memories when you have a lifetime of them to write down? How do you write about a person that has always been there?
We travelled alot growing up, our parents were missionaries. One thing that I absolutely didnt enjoy was going to a church where I didnt know people and going to a Sunday School classroom full of peers that stared at me. It was terrifying. One thing that made it so much better was when Lil Sis was able to go to my class with me or me to hers. Then we werent being stared at individually, but together. Shes always been the more outgoing, and independent one. I find it somewhat humorous that her being the younger and much shorter one was the one that was "Mom" whenever we played house. I was always the "giant baby", sometimes we would switch roles but it never was natural (maybe she was bossy? ;o)). We would play by the hours. I remember playing at the playground where we would walk fences, riding our bikes, playing with Barbi's, fighting over the covers in bed, hide and seek, going down our stairs in a blanket, the secret hideout in the storage closet, playing dont touch the ground... theres just to many memories to write about.

When our friendship was sealed in cement was when I was in 8th grade and she was in 6th. We moved. The best thing about a sister is shes your friend and she moves whenever you do. It was a very lonely time for both of us. We home schooled that year so we didnt really have a way to make friends. We became even closer to each other. I really dont know what I would have done if it wasnt for her. My brother didnt move with us, he went to college. We got our own rooms, but we ended up sleeping in each others :o) It was lonely not being able to talk to each other late into the night. Which worked out well because my brother ended up coming home after a year of college so we had to share again, that was fine by us. Eventually we made friends in our new home, but now her friends were my friends and my friends were her friends.

There was another move and a year of traveling. I went to college, then she followed. I met the man of my dreams and got married. My new husband and I moved out to spend our first year with my family then our second year we spent with his. When my hubby and I moved away from my family there were lots of tears. I think my sis and I knew our friendship was going to change forever. My loyalty had shifted. My new best friend was now my husband. Our tears were because we were going to miss each other but the tears were also because of change.
Thankfully she soon met her man and got married. We had dreams about living in the same state again and hanging out as couple. We didnt think it would ever happen... Then her new hubby decided to go to the same college that my hubby was going to! Our dreams came true, we were going to live in the same area with our new little families, TOGETHER!
Right now we are still living the dream, our kids are going up together, we hang out all the time. Walmart workers know us as the moms that have a lot of kids that are always with each other. Our families eat lunch after church together. We all hang out on Saturday nights and play games. The dream has been fun, we've enjoyed it. We know it wont last forever... But until then we're loving it.
We've been through a lot, my sis and I... Moving (several times), the death of our brother, broken relationships, college, my marriage, then hers, the births of our children.
Lil Sis was a huge blessing sent to me by God a long long time ago. She often makes me laugh till I cry and its usually because of something as silly as how she shifts her glasses. Shes fun and a great story teller. Its funny because we might have just spent most of the day together but we can talk on the phone afterwards for several hours. We tell each other secrets and we know that telling the secret will only go as far as our husbands (because we both cant keep anything from them, its just not possible). I like that we have the same values, God, our husbands and families, then each other. That way neither one of us feels jilted if we say no because we want to spend time with our hubbys or kids. When our husbands get home from work or school thats the end of our phone call because its time to enjoy our man. I love my sister, and Im thankful for her. Shes been one of the greatest gifts that God has given me.
So very sweet Julie. What a neat relationship you both have. I love watching you two together. Even when I am not part of the conversation I like listening in because you both always make me laugh.
ReplyDeleteAwe, Ju!!!! You are TOO sweet! This made me laugh just thinking about all the memories we have together ex. giant baby... we're such dorks:o) While laughing I also felt somewhat emotional because this was so touching. Thanks for loving me so much and for being the best big sister a girl could ask for. I love you best friend (once removed), so glad that we can live our "dream" and am not looking forward to the day that comes to an end. Thanks for your kind words!
ReplyDeletei have to admit that i was often a bit envious of your relationship with your sister, growing up. partly because you and i were so close, but also because i never had that with my sister....we were just too far apart in age. i remember visiting you in hawaii and how all of that jealousy just disappeared because i was so happy that you had a built in friend right there in your home. you are so blessed, julie! cherish what you two have.
ReplyDeleteThat was really sweet, Julie! Both you and Ang have a special thing that can't be replaced.
ReplyDelete