I have to brag on my in laws a little. They're some of the sweetest most helpful people I know. I find it so neat even now 9 years later that they accepted me into the family arms wide open. My husband and I only dated 11 days before we got engaged so I had only met my future in laws two times before that. One of the times was two years before and there was a group of about 5 of us who went to my hubbys hometown all together. So I dont think they even remember me individually from that. Then the next time was at my hubbys dads 50th birthday party. We werent dating then but close to it. Anyway, the night my hubby proposed was at his parents house infront of the family. I was nervous already about them not being to keen on us getting married (I knew the proposal was coming, just not when). We were soon to be engaged and I asked my man if he had even told his family that we were dating and he said no. I was like, you better at least let them know that before we get engaged. He must have told him at same time that we were dating and getting engaged. Well, we arrived at his house on engagement night and he left me in the dinning room with his dad because he had to go "do something". What a sly sly man ;o) So I sat there and chatted with his dad who knew this girl was going to be his future daughter in law. We didnt know each other at all but he was so friendly and non intimidating. Then my hubby came in and told me to close my eyes, so I did, he led me into the living room and I heard a bunch of shuffling feet. He told me to open my eyes and his whole family was infront of me, each girl holding a different colored rose. They came forward one at a time and the different colors of the roses meaning different things (like one came forward with yellow and she said "this is for your friendship", red love, etc.). Then my man knelt down and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes. Then my husbands dad said the sweetest thing, I still think of it often, he said "Welcome to the family! We need to get a new family picture now!" Wow, talk about acceptance. And they've all treated me like family since. I have none of those problems with mother in laws. My mother in law is one of the nicest, kindest people I know. Shes been an example to me of never talking bad about people. If she must say something bad about someone, she says it in such a way that you can tell she feels horrible about even saying what she said (and its never really bad what she said). My husband has no memories growing up of his mom ever being mad. Wow, convicting! My father in law would give you his right leg if he thought you might need it. Hes always willing to help with our car, or whatever, hes so excited that hes retired now because he can come help us with our new house. Hes already making plans to come down and help us put a fence up in our yard. I know where my hubby got his good work ethic and servants heart. My sister in law is like a second sister. We chat on the phone and talk about our kids. Im blessed because getting married, I got a sister out of the deal. Her and her husband have helped us out numerous times. When we first moved back to the midwest we lived with them for a month while we got jobs and on our feet, we had a huge black lab that shedded everywhere and a really stupid cat that didnt know how to use a litter box and she didnt mind a bit. Then when we were moving so my hubby could go back to school they let us live with them again... This time with a four month old baby but no black lab. Someday I hope we can return the favor. My sis in law is hilarious when she talks about finding out her brother was randomly getting engaged it always gives me the giggles. I guess his mom called her and asked if she had talked to her brother. She said no and my MIL said to call him. Then he told her what was going on. The way she tells the story and the suprise is too funny. Anyway, they could have caused a huge stink but my MIL and SIL decided that they would accept me and have a good attitude because this is what was happening. Im so thankful. I dont know my brother in law real well, he lives in Louisiana but I do know his son pretty well and my kids think hes the coolest. Hes 12 and basically my son worships the ground he walks on.
Through marrying my hubby I gained another family and I think its a pretty neat family. Im blessed.
You sure do have a special second family. I am soooooo grateful that they love you and that you get along with them so well. I loved your daddy's family so much and had a wonderful relationship with my mother-in-law! I love you and am so proud of you!!
ReplyDeleteYay to great inlaws!!! I am so grateful for mine too!
ReplyDelete