She has a smile that lights up a room and a heart the size of Texas. Thousands of people call her friend, but Im so so blessed to call her not only friend but also Mom. She can sympathise with anyone, Im in awe of her ability to cry with people. When someones hurting she hurts with them. It could be someone shes known for years or someone that she just barely met. When they tell her their story she has a hug and tears of empathy ready for them. She feels others pain deeply. I remember when I was in high school, when I would go to her with a problem I would say to myself "Im not going to cry, Im not going to cry" but I would start talking, she would hug me and I would start blubbering out my woes while crying on her shoulder. She gives the best hugs.
We go to the grocery store and my mom immediately strikes up conversations with random people. My sister and I used to laugh at her and her friendliness. My dad says she could make friends with a stick, so my sis and I would snicker and say, "Oh theres another stick". Her friendliness is infectious because more and more my sis and I start conversations with people we dont know in stores or parks. My husband laughs at me and asks if Im becoming like my mom. Yes, yes I think I am.
My mom is such a giving person. She gives till it hurts and keeps on giving. My parents dont have a lot of money but that doesnt stop them from helping out those in need. My mom LOVES to have people at her house, someone can call and say they're going to be in the area in 15 minutes and she'll have the sheets changed and a bedroom ready for the awaited company. They've had hundreds of people in their home over the years. Each one arrived feeling welcome and left feeling blessed. They are that good at hospitality.
She doesnt have a snobby bone in her entire body. She befriends the people that dont have any friends. She'll take them out for lunch, go visit at their house, watch their kids, invite them over for coffee and a chat. If they need some money she'll help out however she can. Right now shes paying a lady to clean her house (even though my parents house is always so clean you could eat off the floor) so that her friend can make a little bit of money for her family. She has taken this same lady food, been her friend (when other people aren't), run errands for her, and driven her around because she has no way to get places. This is just one of the people that she often takes the time to help. There are many many more.
I remember when I was little one of my favorite things was to climb into my moms lap and snuggle. I loved the way she smelled, I loved the way her arms felt around me and I loved the sound of her voice.
Shes taught me so much. How to love my husband, shes always been a faithful wife. She loves my Dad. She takes care of him, talks about how hes her best friend, she makes the food he likes, she is always right there with him in ministry, in the good times, and in the bad. Shes taught me to be a loving mom. Ive never doubted her love for me. Shes taught me to keep a clean house and take care of my family. My mom has also taught me to love people and to have a servants heart. Most of all shes taught me that loving Jesus and living for him is the only way to live life.
Shes not one to complain. Both of her ankles have rheumatoid arthritis in them but you never hear her complaining. She might grimace while going up stairs or groan when the weather causes them to hurt more, but even though shes probably in almost constant pain, she doesnt complain. When my sister and I have babies shes on the first train out to help us. Sore ankles an all. Its always so exciting when she arrives. Its always so sad when she has to leave again.
She loves to laugh, she loves her family, shes just plain beautiful to the core. My mom has some mighty big steps to follow. I hope that I can be half the wife, mother, and friend that my mom is. I love her, my mom and my friend.
I have only met your mom a handful of times, but she was always such a sweet person! I count it a blessing to know her.
ReplyDeleteOh Julie, I feel so overwhelmed with thankfulness for the daughter and friend you are to me. Thank you for the tribute. I think you are well on your way for being a great wife and mother and hospitality queen!! I love you and thank God for you! I feel blessed to be your mother ~~ Marmee
ReplyDeleteJulie,
ReplyDeleteAnother beautiful tribute post! I still remember your Mom from Grade school...she is a very giving person!
That's mom to a T! Everything you said and more - she's the best and we are lucky girls to have a mom like her!
ReplyDeleteAw, Julie, what a beautiful post <3 Love this, love her, and hope I can be a glimmer of that sort of a wife/mom/friend as she is!
ReplyDelete