He has a knack for telling stories, I love it when hes telling one that he finds particularly funny and when hes telling it he can hardly get the words out because hes chuckling so much while talking. He likes to laugh at a good clean joke or story, and it makes those around him laugh along with him.
My Dad loves toothpicks, cowboy hats and boots, and horses. Hes most comfortable in a pair of worn out jeans and an undershirt, if its cold outside he likes a nice warm flannel. Hes a cowboy at heart and enjoys watching westerns. Hes hospitable and loves to help people. Hes also generous. Even though my parents arent wealthy people they are very giving. They would give you the shirt off their back if they thought you needed it. You will most likely hear my dad whistling as he walks, he whistles through his teeth and can whistle almost anything. What you will hear is songs to his Savior. Hes not a large man but has the strength of someone that is. Im always blown away at what he can lift or move!
He likes to tease. When we were young he would come in to wake us kids up with either "secrets" where he would whisper really close to our ears and tell pointless stories to get us out of bed, or he would come in singing "Good morning good morning good morning, de duh de duh de duh..." He also will take his icky used toothpicks and act like he was going to give us a shot. There was lots of teasing when we were growing up.
He loves to wake up early. He takes naps in the oddest places (like using a shoe for a pillow while sleeping on the floor), or instead of sleeping on the couch he falls asleep in between the two and is sleeping suspended in the air :o) I remember when we were traveling I always found it funny when he was getting tired while driving he would hit his arm all over the place to stay awake.

I remember my mom having a conversation with a lady from church one time. My mom had said something to this lady about my dad and the lady said how lucky my mom was that she was married to my dad. This lady didnt have a happy marriage and definitely not a loving husband. My mom agreed with this lady, that she was blessed and how thankful she was for my dad. It all clicked in my head that day that who I picked for my husband would either make a happy marriage or a bad one. I wanted to pick someone like my dad. Someone who would love the Lord, be faithful, and love me. Im so glad that I found that someone and for my dads example.

Im thankful for my dad. Hes been an example of a Godly man. Hes an example of a faithful prayer life. I know he prays for me and I know he prays for my family. Im very greatful for his prayers over the years. He makes me laugh, his loving firm dicipline made me the woman that I am today. Ive learned about being a servant to others, generosity, evangelism, about parenting and many many other things from him. I learned about loving God and loving my family. My dad is a special man, and Im so glad that I get to call him my Dad.
That was very sweet Julie. Made me laugh out loud (about the toothpick) and almost cry because so much of what you describe reminds me of my dad. Like laughing so hard he couldn't hardly finish his story. (-: Sweet memories.
ReplyDeleteGreat depiction of your daddy and my hubby. Thank you for writing this blog. Made me have tears at at different places. I love you and the influence you have on people's lives also!!
ReplyDeleteawww, julie this is such a sweet post! i too remember your dad as wearing cowboy boots with a toothpick in his mouth and the biggest, warmest smile on his face.
ReplyDeleteFunny Ju! You did capture dad well! I get the giggles just thinking back to those hot, sweaty, "secrets" early in the morning:o/ And the icky toothpick shots... SO annoying, but so humerous - I can totally picture myself torturing our kids in the same way actually I already do:o) Such a unique and special dad we have!
ReplyDelete