Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yes, Im Complaining...

Ive been absent from my blog for two reasons. The first reason is, Ive been incredibly busy but lovin' our baby girl. The second reason is my baby girl and I are having nursing issues. If there was ever a time that I wanted to quit something its now. But something inside me wont let me quit so we keep plugging away. If this was my first nursing experiance we would be done with it, but I know what a joy nursing can be, and have done it before, and know it CAN be done. Its just a battle of the wills, and mine is stronger!!

The whole two weeks that Surprise was in the NICU they bottle fed her with my milk. Then when we went home we were instructed to keep giving her a bottle every other feeding and put a human milk fortifier in it. I cut that out a few days ago when it took me over an HOUR to get Surprise to latch on (and yes Im using a nursing shield thingy). Shes used to instant gratification when it comes to feeding and she doesnt like not having that. Its so bad that my neck muscles are killing me from bending over trying to get her to latch on. My hubby and I went on a date last night and part of the date was me going to the chiro for my neck! A couple of nights ago she slept for six hours, THEN the whole other half of the night she as awake crying because she was hungry but didnt want to nurse. I came out of our bedroom the next morning and was nearly in tears and threatening to quit this whole nursing business... But I cant do it. Its getting a little better. Im encouraged that it takes only a few minutes for her to latch on instead of the half hour to an hour that it used to be. Im terrified to even think about putting a bottle to her lips for fear of the huge setback it would be. I do want her to take a bottle, our 10th anniversary is in May and we would like to get away for a couple of nights. I will NOT give her a bottle right now though, anniversary get away or not. Anyway, I worry that shes not getting enough food, due to lazy nursing, and what the doc will say when he sees her weight at her two month checkup. Im still supposed to be giving her that weight gainer stuff... HOPEFULLY by then shes be a pro at nursing right? With how long feedings take its been hard to keep up with all the household duties. I think God knew that I needed my mom here for a few more days so he kept her here. She was supposed to fly out on Monday but now cant get out till Friday due weather! My hubby also has this week off work, so my goal is to get this feeding thing under control while I have the help.

Aside from all those issues, Surprise is a REALLY good baby. She sleeps long stretches at night (I woke her up one night because I needed her to nurse!) and is so super fun to cuddle with. The rest of the kids have adjusted to her really well. Tiny loves to sit beside me while I feed Surprise and stroke her hair. I love that we are a family of six now. I love how busy we look at the grocery store :o) And I love being a mommy of four sweet kids :o) Im just not really enjoying the whole "nursing thing"...

10 comments:

  1. Oh Julie I hear you! Kudos to you for sticking it out! I sure didn't! Andrew would freak out and scream and scream and then pass out from being so exhausted and then wake up SO hungry! It wasn't fun at all, but I think if I had done it the way that worked for me (not worrying about feedings for a certain length of time, etc) it could have gone smoother! We'll see next time around! Praying things smooth out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost literally feel your pain, reading this brings flashbacks. I remember having that I can't and won't quit feeling. I will pray that she will get the hang of it soon and it will be a stress free time. BUT if for some reason you have to quit, we will all understand too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying this all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie, I know how physically exhausting & emotionally draining this is for you. One of my boys had a lot of trouble nursing & after 2 months of having him scream for 10-15 minutes before almost every nursing session. I went to exclusively pumping for him and did that until he was 11 months old. It was such a hard decision to make & I am so glad I truly gave it my best effort. Either way you go, I know you will make the decision that is best for your family. What a blessing to have your mom around a little bit longer. I prayed for you this morning!
    (sorry about the deleted comment. . .needed to fix my wording a little bit!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, way to go for sticking it out with nursing! it was awful trying to get tristan to nurse at first and i remember telling josh that if we could afford formula, i'd be at the store buying some! you are doing the best thing for your baby by persevering. what helped me was getting a lactation consultant to come over every few days and help me out. she had techniques to try that i had never read about and she helped calm me down and in turn keep the baby calm. another tip i learned from a friend is to put some sugary water on and around your nipple. that way your baby does get a bit of instant gratification and will hopefully latch right on.

    i'll be praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it gets better each day!! Really, good for you for not giving up easily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Julie, I'm so sorry. I have so been there - but with my first, thankfully, not with three other kids to take care of!!! Zachary would NOT latch on for six weeks- after 3 weeks of trying like you are, I gave up, I emotionally could not take the difficult feedings - I ended up pumping everything for him for 3 more weeks, and then at 6 weeks old, he latched on with a nipple shield, and after using that for 3 or 4 weeks, he started latching on fine! Don't give up - you are doing the most amazing thing for your baby, and you know from experience how easy & convenient it will be in just a few weeks!!! I will be praying for you, and I know God will help you through this - and don't worry about the housework!!!! You have plenty of time to do housework once the baby's eating well. :) As far as taking a bottle in May, don't worry about that either - Natalie refused bottles every week at church & always for babysitters, but when we left her with Joel's mom for a day or two (two different times) she chose to eat & not starve. :) Praying for your family, Julie!!! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Julie ~ I can't find an email to send you the recipe for potato buns/bread ;-) I guess I could message you on fb, eh? =)

    ReplyDelete