Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Its Been a Long Week

Im weary, Im recovering from several days of fevers and sore throats. The laundry needs put away, the dishes need done. R has been working lots of mandatory overtime (they're adding a position at work). The kids (especially one unnamed one) are needy. At times I feel overwhelmed. All I want to do is get in bed and pull the covers over my head and sleep and sleep and sleep... I venture out to run errands, even though the unnamed child is emotionally distraught. I feel like my nerves are going to snap if this certain child asks me for one more drink, help with this, tattling for that, or gets into one more thing. It happened (with lots of tears) and I lash out, not my best mothering moments. Instead of dropping all the things I need to do and calmly helping I lose my patients and I did indeed snap. I get the kids loaded up, we run the errands. A tension headache is forming. All comes to a head when Im checking out Happy wasnt very happy. She starts crying which turned to screaming, needing fed. Tiny almost falls out of the shopping cart, I barely catch her as she plunges to the ground. I hurt her leg in the process. Happys crying, Tiny's crying, Blondie is talking to loud. Im trying to put groceries on the conveyor belt and load the bags. I see a friend and she offers to help, I really am ok, almost done. A worker comes over and starts helping me load the bags. I think I looked frazzled, holding a sobbing two year old, a baby screaming in her car seat, and two other busy kids running around. A perfect stranger comes and asks if I need help, she saw Tiny take her near plunge. Three people offering help, it makes a smile break out on my face, I really do look busy. No thank you I say, my goal is to pay and get home. Thank you. Thank you. We get home, I get the kids fed, groceries put away, the house needs some attention, they all pitch in to help. Teeth are brushed, pj's put on, and I tuck each child in. Say their prayers. First with Tiny. I rock her in my arms as I pray, I peek at her sweet face. Her eyes are already starting to droop. Thank you Lord I pray, that she didnt fall on her head. She really could have gotten hurt. Shes just a bunch of sweetness and I do love her so. Thank you for this blessing Lord, thank you that I am busy, may I be a more Godly mother tomorrow, please forgive my attitude. Next I tuck Blondie in, shes such a ball of energy, her room is a mess. I inwardly sigh with thinking this is on my never ending to do list, clean Blondies room. I step over toys, as I put my forehead onto hers I pray ".....And give us looooooooots of wisdom as we raise Blondie" and I hear her say "Why did you pray for looooooots of razor blades?" Ahh that girl. How would our life be without her? Quiet, but also boring. Thank you Lord for this sweet blessing, thank you that Im busy, may I be a more Godly mother tomorrow, please forgive my attitude and please grant me looooots of patients. Next I start to tuck in George, his room too needs attention, sigh. I go to tuck him in, he curls up on the bed. I pray with him. I look down and see his ever present hat, and old beat up stuffed dog that hes slept with since he was a baby. Hes growing up way to fast, hes such a sweet kid, and a HUGE help. Thank you Lord for this sweet blessing, thank you that Im busy, may I be a more Godly mother tomorrow, please forgive my attitude. I turn out the last bedroom light and walk down the hall. I see our youngest blessing from God kicking her legs in her bouncy seat. I bend and pick her up and snuggle her to my face. And thank you Lord for this sweet blessing, I take her and ease down to the couch, thank you that Im busy, she looks at me with her massive blue eyes and smiles. May I be a more Godly, and less selfish mother tomorrow. Ive had one of those weeks. But even having one of those weeks, Im so very blessed.
*end note, my hubby did let me sleep in yesterday and helped out a lot. I just cant seem to get my energy back. Weary is what I am.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Julie ~ it's so tough to be a sick mama when you have littles. And I know the mess drives us crazy, but it will be better next week. This week you just need to rest and relate with your kids!

    Will you please stay home tomorrow night without guilt? OR take a good nap before you come??

    (the voice of one who should have heard such advice...)

    Oh wait, Tim's wise niece told us LONG ago, "Relax and enjoy your children." It just wasn't in the context of sickness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there too... my theory is to go to bed and tomorrow is another day!
    Hope it all settles down soon.
    It's nice that strangers offer help in a shop.
    Two of my kids' rooms permanently look like a war aftermath! Just something to work at I suppose.
    Wishing you strength to cope xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this post, julie. thank you for being so real. it helps to know that other moms struggle with the same sorts of things that i do. you are a wonderful mom, i hope you know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just now catching up on blogs I follow... (things are crazy here too - but for entirely different reasons). I remember well days like you described. As hard as it is.... enjoy them! They pass WAY to quickly. My "baby" will be 22 this year - that hardly seems possible. Praying MUCH for you!! (And trust you are feeling better by now too)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...what a horrible experience you had at the store - I'm so sorry!!!! :( We have all been there with those difficult days when we wish we would have responded differently. Your children will forgive & forget & God does, too, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete