
Some turtles under a bridge we walked over at the zoo
We arrived in Kansas City and decided to go to the Zoo while we waited for check in time at our hotel. We drove all over trying to find it. We even asked for directions... twice. We finally found it, after driving around for two hours. It was worth the time though, because I heart animals and zoo's. My man knows that so every vacation we hit the zoo at some point in time. This one was fun, they had kangaroo's hopping around out of cages. The first one we saw hopping around we thought it was loose and almost went looking for a worker to tell them... but we rounded a corner and saw three more right on the path. How fun is that? This zoo also had hippo's, rhino's, and a bunch of baby animals. My all time FAVORITE animal is the orangutan, and they had a baby one, it was SO cute! Since the kids weren't with us R had to hear me gushing about all the cute baby animals. Im easy to please though, right? It was kind of rainy and a tad chilly so we decided after the zoo to do the indoor water park that was in our hotel. Guess what? We got lost. Again.

Our room was on the 12th floor. This hotel didnt have a floor number 13, the numbers on the elevator went from 12 to 14.
We settled into our room, changed and went to the water park. It was a lot of fun! There was a kiddie part that had a HUGE bucket. Water ran into it and the bucket eventually dumped (every five minutes or so). We seemed to be drawn to the kid parts (maybe we missed our munchkins a little). We stood under until it dumped and laughed our heads off at each other. Good times. Anyway, we were ravenous by that time so we got dressed in nice clothes and embarked on a journey to find a fancyish restaurant. We drove and drove and drove trying to find ANYTHING besides scary looking fast food places. The downtown Kansas City was a bit frightening. We a couple of times would be craning our necks trying to find things only to have a car pull up beside us with less than reputable people in it so we would quick turn our eyes to the front because we didnt want to be shot. I kept locking the doors every time we got in the vehicle. At this point in time we both agreed that we were going to go to Walmart after we ate to get a GPS. TWO HOURS later we *may* have ended up in a casino to eat. R's work had a Christmas party in one one year and I remembered it having a really good buffet. This one had a FANTASTIC buffet. With all you can eat crab legs.

And eat crab legs we did. A ridiculous amount of them. They were gooooood. The buffet also had crab ragoons, lots of desserts, and other food too, but thats what I ate large quantities of.
After we left the restaurant we took off for Walmart. We got directions, which sounded easy but we ended up driving all over looking for it. Good thing we were headed to Walmart to get a GPS huh? We finally found it. Anyway, I wore heels, a not very common thing for me. Im not super graceful or coordinated and I have wide feet. Heels and me dont go well together. My feet were killing me and I got a large blister on my foot. I hobbled around Walmart, and finally took my shoes off. We got our GPS and other important things like donuts and cheesecake. Part of the 4 pounds I gained while away.

our new GPS, which saved us time and gas
We slept till ELEVEN the next morning! I got up at 4 to pump but then slept right on till 11. Crazy but nice! We went to Worlds of Fun.

Amusement parks are SO much more fun without kids along. We got to ride on all the roller coasters together and walk as much and as fast as we wanted. We rode all the big rides, I screamed on each one of them. The day was HOT and humid. We downed a 4 dollar large drink about half way through our time there but other than that we didnt drink. Since it was so expensive. We left at 6 pm. We couldnt remember where we parked so we walked and walked looking for our vehicle. It took FOREVER. And I needed to pump, my legs were tired, and I was HOT. We finally found it. I found an old bottle of water under the seat that was really warm but chugged almost all of it in one drink. I came to understand how when people are dying of thirst they can drink stagnant water. As I sat there I started to get hotter and hotter and couldnt seem to cool down. I think I was on the verge of getting heat stroke. We went back to the hotel and took a cool shower, it helped perk me back up. My back has been having problems lately and all the walking we did made it really tense and sore. The hotel room had this awesome shower head that almost felt like it was massaging you. That felt really good. Anyway, we changed into our swim suits again and went to the hotel pool. It was almost deserted since everyone was at the indoor water park. It was so very fun to swim and swim. We did flips in the water, floated on our backs, had races, saw who could swim under water the furthest. Another thing that is more fun without kids, swimming! A family came into the pool that had a baby about Happys age. I stared and smiled at the baby so much that the babies mom was probably getting worried :o) I was missing the kids a little bit. We went into the hot tub for awhile then decided to get some food since it was about 9. We got Pizza Hut then went back to the hotel to bed.
We slept till 9 the next morning. We packed up all our stuff and checked out of the hotel.

Packing up our vehicle and checking out of the hotel. Hes got such nice broad shoulders... Love him.
It was a cloudy windy day so after we checked out we went to a not as famous water park as Oceans of Fun. It was called Schleterbaugn. Or something like that. We thought since it was cooler and not as well known it wouldnt be as busy. And we were right. We didnt have to even really wait in line. The water was cold and it was windy. I dont handle cold water well AT ALL. Im the type that when I take a shower I have the water on as hot as it can be. But since this was our fun time away I was very brave and delt with it. The first slide we went on I squealed loudly all the way down every time I got splashed. R was laughing his head off at me :o) He offered to buy a swim suit cover up for me but once that got wet I would be even colder. Anyway, I eventually got used to it, it took awhile but I had fun even if I was cold. We didnt even think of putting sun screen on. Way into the day I said I thought I was getting sunburned but since it was almost time to go we didnt do anything about it. We left and headed home. As the day progressed we both got redder and redder. By the time we got home we were FRIED and SORE. I was almost shaking because it hurt so much. Ive given birth four times so I know real pain and this HURT. I called my mom to see what we could do besides aloe vera (we lived in Hawaii for four years when I was in high school) and she said to put vinegar on it. It somehow took some of the heat out of the burn. It really did help! We're still really sore today.
Our trip sunburns and all was SO NICE. We both have task oriented problems, and going into our weekend get away we said that if all we do is sleep and eat then thats fine. We didnt HAVE to do anything if we didnt want to. There was one time that I got task oriented when I was hungry and he did once when we were lost. Otherwise we did whatever we wanted and didnt get bothered about doing stuff. It was the best time Ive ever had. It was even better than our honeymoon. We laughed at silly things like the obnoxious toilet in our room that flushed really loud and scared us, we ate lots, we held hands all the time, we talked a lot, we slept really late... it was great. I would like to do this annually but dont want people to grow tired of watching our children. So maybe every other year. We're definitely getting away again though. It was such a refreshing fun weekend.
Wow Julie, I can read your excitement through all of your words-- so so fun!! I love that big pick-you-up that will probably last you a good long time... so glad you had an amazing time!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a great time away!!! It's amazing how refreshing time together like that can be!
ReplyDelete