Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Our Garden is Planted!!
On Thursday we got our garden planted. I LOVED digging up the dirt and putting the tiny plants in the ground. We got all of them in but it was a bit of a mishmash mess. My friend from church has been giving me pointers as to what to do. On Saturday she offered to come over because she had some strawberry plants to give me. I was really embarrassed for her to see our garden, being as unorganized as it was. She came over with the plants, her garden spade (is that what its called?) and some of her own compost! She went down and saw our little garden with crooked rows. She helped us get it in order. She also helped put things in the right places like the cucumbers and watermelon on the side so the plants can grow up a fence and not grow out in the middle and kill the other plants. She helped us get the tomatoes spaced further apart and told us we needed a tomato fence (I cant remember the name of it right now). Also I saw that the little gardening kit that I bought was meant for children. When I saw her garden tool and compared it to my garden tools, I realized mine was obviously meant for little hands and decided that I MUST get me an adult sized spade, its so much easier to dig up the ground with one that is the proper size ;o) She told us the best times to water, and then gave us some chicken wire to build a fence. My friend is so earthy and talented in all things natural. Im so glad that my embarrasment over our lack of gardening knowledge didnt stop me from having her help. Im WAY excited to get out there and pull weeds, water our plants, and then reap the harvest of our labors. I cant wait to sink my teeth into fresh tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers and all sorts of other delightfully fresh fruit and veggies. Ive wanted to try my hand at gardening for a long time now, but we have never had an area to plant one. Last year when we moved into our house I wanted to put one in but it was to late in the season. Anyway, I wanted to share a picture of our garden but the camera is in the van and R drove the van to work. So maybe I'll put one on in another post. R has bought me plants throughout the years and I have killed each and every one of them (he has actually stopped buying them for me since I kept killing them), so I hope the garden thrives instead of dies. We shall see :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh so fun Julie! I can sympathize with you as I have no common sense about gardening. So nice Hanna was able to help you out and give you pointers. I love the part about buying the child's gardening set! You are such a good sport. (-:
ReplyDelete