Its been awhile...
Last Friday our sweet baby girl got croup. It was strange because through the week she had a runny nose and low grade fever, but that was about it. She wasnt lethargic or grumpy. Friday morning she started having a barky cough but it wasnt to much of a concern. As the day went on it got a little worse. At 9 I woke R up for work and had him hold Happy while I got his lunch together (she didnt want to be put down). While he was holding her he heard her wheezing and barking up a storm. Which I had noticed was fast becoming worse. R asked why I didnt take her in to the Urgent Care (we have a couple clinics here that you can go to after hours if you dont want to go to the E.R., they only stay open till 9 though). I didnt because it didnt start getting bad until an hour before. We talked it over and he said if it got any worse then to take her in to the ER. I called a really good friend and told her that I may be calling her in the middle of the night to watch the older kids because Happy was wheezing and coughing a lot. Happy and I went to sleep at about midnight. Before that I gave her a Neb treatment and took her into the bathroom with the hot water running so it was all steamy, and when we went to sleep she seemed like she was doing a lot better. At about 2 am she woke up kind of whimpering (I had her in the pack and play right beside our bed). I picked her up and she coughed, then would kind of throw her head back and arch her back and little because she was trying to breath back in, but couldnt. So I pounded and rubbed her back and she would wheeze a breath in. I called my friend and she said she was coming right over. I called R to let him know what was going on, then I threw some sweats on, got M a pillow and blanket, got my shoes, and all the while Happy was coughing and gasping for breath. I called M and told her I was going to take off and that I had put the garage door opener in a certain place and that she could go in through there. I drove with Happy up front because I was scared to have her in the back since she seemed to not be able to catch her breath. We got to the ER and I didnt even have to sit and wait, they got me right back. They said she had croup and that thankfully her lungs were clear. They gave her a steroid and sent me home. I was worried that she would still have problems breathing but she slowly started breathing better and not barking when she coughed. Within a couple hours she was doing MUCH better.
Now shes back to her happy, active self. Im so thankful for doctors and for a friend willing to come over in the middle of the night.
The rest of the week was pretty non eventful. I took Tiny to speech therapy and after an evaluation (in which she wouldnt even look at the lady let alone talk to her) the therapist thinks that shes where she needs to be. I had to tell her what she could and couldnt do as far as speech goes, since Tiny wouldnt talk to her. So our Tiny is just shy and quiet. Thats what I thought but I would rather get the help if she needed it.
Yesterday I started getting stuffy headed with sore, plugged up ears and a sore throat. I hate being sick when Im pregnant. I didnt get to much sleep last night since it hurt to swallow and I was having weird dreams about the book Im reading. Today Im pretty tired... I sure miss being able to wrap up in a blanket and feel sorry for myself when Im sick... You cant do that with four little ones running around. The kids are being pretty easily entertained, though Blondie thinks shes hungry 24/7, so shes being a little bit on the high maintenance side of life... You would think after eating a good breakfast, several oranges, hot chocolate, a handful of candy, and who knows what else that she wouldnt be hungry anymore.
Anyway, lest I start to really grumble, I will close with this bit of adorableness taken by my sweet friend. She has a website but in my foggy headed state I for the life of me cant remember what it is... She takes BEAUTIFUL pictures though. She took Happys one year ones Ive only seen three of them, I cant wait to see the rest! *One of my friends posted her website links in my comments if your interested in looking at more of her pictures. Our computer is having issues so I cant get into my comments to copy and past them on here.*

I believe this was Happys first taste of sweets, I think she liked the cupcake... ahhh, I have such baby bliss with this sweet girl.
I am so happy that Happy is ok!!
ReplyDeleteThe websites are http://capturedbysarah.blogspot.com and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Captured-by-Sarah-Photography/111489937238 :)
I've had kids with croup too, and it's such a scary sounding cough - for the child too! I'm glad you got her to the ER ok, and that she's doing better now.
ReplyDeleteI also can't think of blog titles sometimes...never mind that I can't seem to get a post up and running easily either - there must be a brain blockage somewhere.. ;-)
Your children are all so beautiful - and that photo is just adorable!
First of all. . . could Happy be any more beautiful (and delicious looking!)!?!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are all feeling better. Being sick while taking care of sick kids is the number one thing God uses to stretch and grow me! I join you in saying PRAISE GOD for doctors, medicine and friends.
Yes, half of my big posts are titled 'random' because I just don't care ;)
ReplyDeleteCuuuute picture of Happy!!
Glad her croup is better -both of my kids have dealt with that and it stinks!!
I hope you feel better soon!
Oh, my gosh how scary with the back-arching/not breathing!! Yikes. I'm so glad there are steroids for croup -- Lauren's had to take them before and it always amazes me how quickly they get the job done!
ReplyDeleteAlso, one time I read a blog title that I LOVED. I think about filching it all the time, but haven't quite needed to yet. Still, here it is in case it will help you feel better:
Titles are Overrated.
PERFECT :)
Haha, yes your title IS pretty lame:o) Oh well... Glad Happy is feeling better and that M was able to come to the rescue, that can be SO scary!
ReplyDeleteYeah...my facebook page is more updated... :) Thanks, Laura for posting the link! :D
ReplyDeleteYikes! CROUP! I didn't know about that and am glad she recovered so quickly...that had to be scary! :(