Wednesday, March 10, 2010

BFF

One is a boy, tall, slender, with brown hair and brown eyes. He is nearing 7 years of age. The other is a girl, short, with light blonde hair and big blue eyes. She's nearly 3 and a half. They have absolutley nothing in common. One has a voice so loud it could shake a mountain. The other talks so quiet that I'm always saying, "I can't hear you Bud; you need to talk louder". One is a spit fire on wheels always getting in to things and always getting in trouble. The other will jump to clean up a mess that his sister made so that she won't get in trouble. One likes any kind of meat, LOVES chicken and sometimes likes to eat fruit or yogurt; but if given the opportunity she would rather carry around a package of pepperoni and eat that. The other could live on fruit, veggies, and yogurt. They sometimes swap their pizza, one eating the meat and cheese off it and the other eating the crust. One wakes up early, the other could sleep the day away. He likes to build with his legos, she likes to carry around Buzz, her Strawberry Shortcakes, and her purse. One is amazing at sharing, the other can tend towards selfishness. How did they become best friends? What is there for them to do together? Being siblings is the only thing in their favor. I remember being a smidgen dissapointed that we were having a girl when we found out what Blondie was. I was worried that the three and a half years separating the two plus the gender difference would be too much, I thought they wouldnt have anything in common. They really DONT have anything in common; but they somehow make it work. They play ALL. DAY. LONG. and only stop at night after getting in trouble many, many times and sometimes having to be put in different rooms to make them stop talking. When one is sleeping and the other is awake they seem at a loss for what to do with themselves. "Play with me George. Let's play," Blondie was saying the other day so off they went playing doggies and kitties. Or acting like Blondie was an obnoxious baby that wouldnt stop crying and the "dog" carried her around on his back. They laugh, they talk, they hardly ever fight and they share nicely together. Actually George is the only person that Blondie will share with voluntarily. It makes me happy to see them getting along. Sometimes they can get on my nerves in their annoying play but my husband laughs and says "well we don't have to worry about them not enjoying each other." I watched a little boy George's age a couple of weeks ago and I noticed Bondie sitting with her head hung and a very sad look on her face. I realized that her playmate was otherwise occupied. She felt left out. Oh, sad! I cuddled her while she felt sorry for herself. Then a few days later the kids' cousin an 11 year old boy came for a visit and again Blondie was left out with the rambunctious boy play. It made me sad and a little happy in a selfish kind of way that she felt that way. I felt bad that she was left out but happy that she loves her brother so much.
So the saying is true in this case, opposites DO attract. I hope that Tiny, the older she gets, will play with them more and more. For Blondie, she has a treasure in Tiny even though she may not realize it right now, there's nothing on earth like a sister. I thank God for the blessing of my children's play. They make messes the entire day long, (George is good at cleaning it up but Blondie, well we're trying to work on that. She'll say, "George will clean it up." Not real fair for George...) and they're noisy; but, there's nothing like the sound of children's laughter and shouts of excitment. I love my blessings, and I love to see them play especially with each other.

3 comments:

  1. Funny how different those two are:o) Never really thought about just how different! Good comparison between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy your two oldest ones are so different but love each other so much and compliment each other because of the differences!! I love the way you wrote this up! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw...that's the sweetest thing... :)

    ReplyDelete