This is a picture of George measuring the wall :o)OK! So I started a post about George; then accidentally posted it unedited and unfinished. So some of you may have read it while it was posted for several hours... I will attempt again to write about my Curious, sweet boy. It will be finished this time and edited ;o)
George was born to us after just under two years of marriage. I was a very nervous awkward mom at first. All he did for four months was cry which made me even more nervous and stiff with him. He never did want to nurse. I tried for three and a half months, and eventually started pumping and giving him a bottle. That worked out so much better for both of us. I lugged a pump around with me for a year. After his fussy, colicky months, he turned into the best baby. He was laid back and low maintenance. He would play by himself for hours on end. I would just pack him up and do whatever I did before. My hubby went back to finish college during George's first year. For the next three years George and I hung out by ourselves a lot because My Hubby was working full-time along with going to school full-time.
George didn't talk till he was two and a half. It was kind of stressful, especially since he was my first. You stress about that kind of stuff more with your first. He went to speech therapy for awhile which did help a lot. He's still a little behind in talking; but I have seen HUGE strides in the past couple of years(learning to read has helped him too). Where he was behind in some areas he was so ahead in others. He could take a pen (a Zebra pen, they have about six pieces) completely apart and put it back together at an extremely young age. He has a very mechanical mind. Puzzles are a snap for him.
George has always been a little OCD (obsessive compulsive). When he was younger he would open a door then shut it... Open it and shut it... Open it and shut it... Open it and shut it... OH MY WORD! It drove me crazy!!! He would also turn the light on, then off, off on, off on, over and over again. Not fast trying to make it look like lightening but slow like he needed to figure out why it was turning off and on with the switch. He also liked all his stuff lined up neat. For example, his cars or trains had to be lined up in order. Now you can see the wheels in his head turning when something like the chair at the doctor's office can go up and down, oh the excitement! He thinks to himself, "I really shouldn't touch the chair but I MUST SEE HOW IT WORKS!" And he'll inch himself over and slowly touch it and then throw abandon out the window and full tilt figure it out, only to be snapped out of his trance and be embarrassed when the doc walks in. He ABSOLUTELY loves to take things apart. It drives my hubby crazy; but I find it humorous, it's like George can't stop himself.
He hovers whenever My Hubby is working on something (my hubby does like George "helping" him) like: the car, screwing in a light bulb, putting a bookshelf together. Anything. He loves it and needs to watch and help. One morning we woke to find all the bolts and screws missing to the kitchen table and the legs were wobbling and about to fall off... Hmmm I wonder who did that? Another time My Husband went into the bathroom and his electric razor was completely taken apart. Unfortunately, that was irrepairable. Then, there was the dismantled trophy... By someone, I bet you can't guess who.
George has a sweet, wants to please nature. He's gentle and so good with his little sisters (almost all the time). Hes also good at sharing. He'll save treats that he gets and shares them with me or daddy or his sisters. One time he got a sticker at the doctor's office and realized his cousin whom we were going to see didn't have one, so he ripped it in half so she would have a sticker too. He also likes to draw pictures for us and it's really sweet the things he draws. Wall-E is his all time favorite movie (I mean come on, who doesn't LOVE robots?) and so he'll draw Eve for Blondie, not just Eve, but Eve holding hands with Blondie and a heart between them. Very sweet.
George has always been a mommies boy. It was just the two of us for so long (since my husband was going to school full time and working full time till George was three, and no siblings till he was three and a half). He just looks at me sometimes with pure adoration in his eyes and says, "Mommy, you're pretty" or "Mommy you look nice" or "I love you" in a whispery voice and smile, a sweet smile... Kinda makes your day. Some day I know the adoring look will turn to another lady. It will make me sad; but of course if she's the right girl I'll be happy. He's very sensitive to Jesus dying on the cross and knows all about why He died on the cross, for our sin. He also knows that Jesus raised from the dead and that he needs to ask him to save us from our sin. He just hasn't made it personal yet. I really pray it will be soon; but he is eager to please and could be talked easily into a false commitment, so please pray for our George. Pray that he'll accept Jesus as his Savior soon.
We love our George, he can be wild, he has a VERY short attention span, and can drive us crazy like when he hovers or ruins things. It also can drive us nuts when he gets a good idea to color in a scratch on the wall red (our walls are tan). Or when we just move into our new remodeled apartment and he uses a small (very small) knickknack shelf as a mini ladder up against the wall and makes several huge scratches in the paint. Grr. We love him, he gives us the giggles and makes us laugh (or scratch our heads and wonder what he was thinking). We thank God for our very own Curious George.
Awww...how sweet! I love how well you know each of your children & their personalities. I can't imagine having a speech delay like that with any child, let alone your first - I would have gone crazy! Glad he's doing better & like you said, excelling in other areas!
ReplyDeleteYou nailed it! Perfect discription of George!
ReplyDeleteJulie, this is such a neat post about George. It is funny, incredibly written perfectly about his personality. He is such a little sweetie.
ReplyDelete