Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Sticking Out Like a Sore Thumb
Tonight was closing night at church for our kids program "Kids 4 Truth". The kids we're all hyper with excitement and I was kind of dreading getting on stage with my class the 4's and 5's. I help with that class every year and every year I feel gigantic and awkward on the stage with the cute tiny children, cant hide behind them because they only come up to my knees. This year I was really dreading it because we were singing a round song with three parts for the parents and I had the first part of the round. The kids in my group didnt sing out so I knew, well, I should sing out for them and maybe they would feel more comfortable. I leaned over to another helper who was "lucky" to be helping the kids with the second round and teasingly say to her "What, you feel special because you dont have to sing a solo?" Shes like "Ya kinda since I dont know the song real well" Anyway, we go into the auditorium and its a packed house, Im a bit nervous but keep telling myself its just a few lines of a Sunday School song, get a grip Julie. So our class goes up first, since they are the youngins, we file on stage. Alas, we're out of order. I see this isnt a good thing since the kids practiced the song a million times in the other order. I frantically whisper to the group leader that the kids arent in the right order, she whispers back "Just go with it" OK, we'll go with it. Then I think to myself, HA my group is now in the MIDDLE so I dont have to sing a solo!! Woop Woop! So I lean over to the girl that USED to be in the middle and whisper to her "HAHA you get to sing a solo now!" So large me is front and center, well yes I do have some little short people in front of me, so technically Im not in the front and center, thank goodness for that. Then we say the verse, I swear, really I clearly remember them saying downstairs that the kids, and helpers, were supposed to say the reference then the last part of the verse together. So the leader starts saying the reference and I belt out, with hand motions the reference with him. Ooops, why didnt I hear kids chiming in? My heart beats a little harder from embarrassment... Then onto the song. Sing out self, the kids need your help... The first group, which is supposed to be my part, starts singing "God the Father, God the Father..." I start singing with them by habit then quickly stop, not your part anymore Julie. Then my new part starts, it starts out great but then I started listening to the other group and couldnt remember the words OR tune to the part I was supposed to be leading my sweet little group in! OH NO! And instead of just stopping I kept stumbling around trying to find it, it was brutal. My eyes swing to the leader in hopes of finding my note and I see her mouth moving to different words than my mouth is moving to. Finally I stop. I dont know where we are supposed to be, so I just start mouthing random things. And then the song is over. Thank God. But I couldnt slink back to my seat because we had to sing another song. This one wasnt a round... and all the people in the audience breath a collective sigh of relief, whew. Finally it was over. I thought to myself, maybe no one noticed me. After church I found my sister (who was sitting in the back row) so I could tell her my embarrassing story. She knew exactly what I was going to say because she saw AND heard me, she said she as about to bust out laughing. Oh flushed face and giggles of embarrassment. All I can do is laugh at myself and hope that next year we dont sing any round songs up front, because I might have to sit that one out. My pastor said on Facebook that he thought it was Awesome :o) Ok, that makes it all sort of worth it, because I like to be awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hilarious!!! Laughed through most of your post! Hearing it from your perspective and picturing it all as I watched it, so funny! Brutal for you, but entertaining for me:o) Thanks for the laugh sister dear and oh yeah, thanks for your ministry;o)
ReplyDeleteAnge, you're terrible! But... yeah, I'm sitting here thinking about the same thing as I laugh!
ReplyDeleteOh, Julie... *sigh* :) Thanks for posting the "rest of the story"- it really does make it all even better, especially knowing now how dramatically things changed from practice to performance!! <3
I'll 'fess up here that while I thought you looked uncomfortable up there, I totally missed the fact that you lost your place in the round. Maybe I wasn't the only sleepy one there? or maybe I'm one who should be wearing her glasses more often?
ReplyDeleteBless your heart for it all ~ working all year in K4T and standing up front tonight!
Haha! I totally thought this might be about one of your kids singing out or something. I love how you're willing to share such funny (and embarassing) stories! :) Well, maybe next year they WON'T do a round...for the leaders' sake! ;)
ReplyDelete