Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Knowing the Discomfort IS Worth It

I know this will disappoint some of you... It does my mom, but I have to be honest here. I dont enjoy being pregnant. Dont get me wrong, I know what a HUGE blessing, and miracle carrying a child is, I do. Especially us, not being able to conceive without the help of drugs. But the discomfort, and largeness just gets soooo old. The end result is so worth it, and that is why I am pregnant for the fourth time! I love to snuggle a newborn, and raise my babes but if I could skip through the last half of pregnancy and have a healthy baby, I would so do it.

I think sleeping is the worst. My ribs get sore if I sleep on one side to long, so I switch sides (rolling my stomach as I roll) and almost lose my breath when the pressure leaves the sore side and switches to the other. It gets old not being able to bend over to do a simple thing like tying my shoes, or picking dirty clothes up off the floor. Then the constant heartburn is what really gets to me. Right now Ive been popping 8-10 Tums a day, just to keep it bearable, not even getting rid of it all the way. Swelling has to be my all time annoyance. When I see myself in pictures... Ugh. It gets worse and worse as the pregnancy progresses. I always end up having to take my ring off for about the last trimester and cant get it back on again for a couple months after baby arrives. Its bad. When I wear socks then take them off you can see where the top of the sock was and see every stitch of the sock indented into my skin. My cheeks start to look like Im part chipmunk. So its vanity, I hate to feel big and homely for so long.

But when Im resting its neat to feel the baby kicking and punching and it never ceases to amaze me that just under the skin a baby is being formed... In my stomach! Or when my hubby is beside me and the baby starts going crazy and you can see it kicking through the skin and he lays his hand on my belly with a grin on his face, makes me happy sigh. One night in church when I was pregnant with my third my oldest was sitting beside me and a couple sat down with their newborn, Georges face lit up and he looked at the baby then at my belly and back at the baby. It all clicked for him at that moment. These are what makes it fun, and bearable. Its just so sad that it has to be for NINE full months!! But its part of the curse right? Its not meant to be easy. So I continue to mark days off the calender, count down weeks, and get extra snuggle time in with my three other blessings before mommy is needing to spend extra time nursing and taking care of the baby.

So I hope I didnt disappoint to greatly.


The end result so worth it right? :o) Definitely!

3 comments:

  1. I hope the next few months seem to go by quickly for you! :)

    I would absolutely love to have another baby; we will see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie I so understand. Certain aspects of pregnancy are hard anyway, but swelling just makes you miserable in your own body. With Ben my ankles were so big that it was so painful to walk. Aren't you glad that God gave us a desire to have a baby anyway even though it is difficult, I agree it is so worth it. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I completely understand - I don't love the newborn phase, I truly do love being pregnant, but yes, by the end it is SO uncomfortable! But that feeling of the baby kicking is just SO worth it - my favorite feeling in the world!!! :)

    ReplyDelete