It hasnt been a full two weeks since I wrote Georges birth story, but I thought I would write out Blondies today anyway. I havent had any cool stories or funny things happen to write about so I thought eh, might as well write hers. Oh, actually something cool did happen, my sister found out shes expecting twins! For those of you who dont know her shes below 5 feet tall, and has three other kids ages 5, 3, and 1! Wowza! I have three things to say: First- what a HUGE blessing, and shes taken it on as just that, second- shes going to have about the worlds most uncomfortable pregnancy, since shes so short, third- shes going to be a busy momma, but I have full confidence that shes going to do great. Oh there is one more thing, we cause scenes going places with our combined herd of children, and I can only imagine the scene in about 5 months, adding my baby and her TWO!
Talking about scenes, then I will get on to the birth story. Last night my sister and I went to a burrito place that we heart and had our kids along (of course), whom all hadnt had naps, and it was supper time (we went to a mother daughter banquet so the kids were very tired). The kiddos were kind of loud, I was going through the line telling what I wanted, and trying to keep track of everything. I was searching in my purse for my punch card and somehow Tiny slid off the counter (I had her sitting up there and was standing in front of her, I still cant figure out how she took her tumble) anyway, I was trying to catch her and in the process knocked my purse off the counter which swung down and hit Blondie in the mouth. I almost caught Tiny with one arm, but she ended up plunging all the way to the ground and landed on her back. Thank goodness she had a coat on and her hood took the brunt of the fall. But Im standing there trying to comfort both girls, keep George from running around, get my purse together, and finish ordering. Im HUGELY pregnant and not so agile. The workers thankfully weren't to judgemental (at least to my face). They looked concerned though. I got to the register and the guy stamped my card like 6 times, he must have felt sorry for me. He said to have a great day and I said I would try to not knock any more of my kids off the counter and went to find a seat. With my still distraught daughters. All the while my sister was laughing.
Ok, the story:
Blondie was our child that we prayed and prayed for. After having George I assumed getting pregnant again would be easy. As it turns out it took about two years for us to get pregnant the second time. About a year and a half of negative pregnancy testers and tears of want, I started going to a doctor to see what was wrong. We have always wanted a big family and it really tore at my heart when George would want someone to play with at parks or McDonald's play places and I just couldnt crawl around in the tubes very long without feeling like my knees were going to be bruised beyond repair. He needed a sibling. We went through several tests and the doc was optimistic about us getting pregnant again since we had George. He finally wrote me a prescription for Clomid (not sure if Im spelling that right). I had 5 months worth. I was SO excited I almost started crying right there in the office. My mom used the same meds to get pregnant with me. I was very hopeful since it worked for her. Well one month turned into two, then two into three, and my excitement soon turned into worry. The last month of the clomid we decided to try all the old wives tales in the book. At 4 in the morning of "the day to take the tester" I had to go to the bathroom. I peed on the stick finished my bathroom time, then looked, there it was! After two years I finally saw a positive pregnancy tester!! My husband was in school at the time so I didnt want to wake him (he was working 60 hours a week on top of school) so I called my sister and told her. Then I was like, I need to take another one just to make sure, do you want to go to Walmart? And the sweety said sure (she was a new momma with a three month old). We took a very early in the morning Walmart run. I took the second one and it too, obviously, was positive.
My pregnancy with Blondie was rough from the start. I had SUCH bad heartburn that I seriously thought I had acid reflux. It was BAD. I also had a chronically stopped up nose, which doesnt sound that bad until you have it. I started sleeping propped up on the couch just to get some relief. Then I had MAJOR swelling. My sister cracked whale like jokes to me all the time, which totally didnt offend because I knew it was true. I also got carpotunnel, and weird brown spots growing all over, terrible terrible sciatica pain... You name it I had it with Blondie. My whole family, and of course my husband, were so worried about my swelling and blood pressure. The bad blood pressure with pre eclampsia doesnt usually start till the end, but with Blondie it was on the rise early. I see pictures of myself during her pregnancy and its painful to look at. Anyway, finally, 18 days before her due date I went to my doctors appointment. The doc looked at my swelling, blood pressure, and miserable me, and asked if I would be opposed to going in that night to be induced. Umm, no, check me in right now! So it was set up for 7 pm that night. I called my sweet Aunt and asked her if she could keep George for a few nights, called my family. My hubby and I frantically got things ready for baby, we thought we had a bit more time!
We arrived at the hospital and I got into my gown. We right away told them that I was a hard poke and we wanted an anasteciologist to put my IV in. They said that three nurses had to try three times before they could call him... What?? So of course three nurses tried and on the last try of the last nurse she finally got it in. So people, I dont dread labor what really makes me nervous is getting the IV. Im not kidding. It about makes me hyperventilate. Then we sat back and waited. Finally around 9 a nurse came in and said she had to put something called Certadel (totally dont know if thats the real name, and I know its not spelled right) in. It was supposed to thin me out and start labor. She said it may or may not work since baby was still way high, and I wasnt dilated or thinned out. I dont think it was supposed to be painful but it hurt so bad when she was putting it up there that I apparently was pushing the nurses hands away, I didnt even know I was doing that. Very uncomfortable. They then gave me something to help me sleep. Around 1 am I started to feel contractions, so I called the nurse to let her know. The contractions steadily started picking up and soon the were regular and hard. They sometime in there gave me petocin but I cant remember when. I asked for the epi and the anaesthesiologist came down and put it in. Only again, weird curve or whatever in my back, it only worked on half my body. They had me lay on my side to see if it would help it come over onto the non working side. It didnt, so he came back to fix it and it still didnt work. A young guy came down, I dont remember what he was, and finally got it to work. He was my best friend. They gave me control of the drip sometime in the not working epi period of time, they said I could push the button three times every 15 minutes or so. So I kept pumping it trying to get it to work (keep this in mind, I was epi'ed to the max). Anyway, at about 7 am a nurse came to check me, she said baby was still high and that maybe around lunch time baby would be here. She said to call her if I felt the urge to push. About a half hour later I felt the urge. I called the nurse and she checked because I asked her to, and she immediately started freaking out. The baby had dropped and was coming! I remember the nurse and my hubby picking up my legs to get me ready and I couldnt feel a single thing, my legs felt as if they were floating only they werent my legs because I couldnt feel them at all, to much epi apparently (it took FOREVER for it to wear off too). The nurses came and I pushed once, the doc was in there trying to get his coat and gloves on, I pushed and he started yelling at the nurses to hurry up. Then I felt the baby literally sliding out, I remember saying "Shes coming out and Im not doing anything and cant stop it!" He caught her. It was the happiest non stressed atmosphere since the pushing was so easy. The nurses kept saying that I didnt look like I just gave birth. Blondie was born at 7:35 am. They were yelling out weight estimates... All were surprised at how small she ended up being. She tipped the scales at 5 lbs 7 oz, which shocked me, I was SOOOOO big so it wasnt baby... Kind of embarrassing. She was perfect and I was SO happy, I almost started crying tears of joy, instead I just had a huge soggy smile plastered on my face. God had answered our prayers in such a beautiful way. Anyway, she kept losing her body heat so had to be put under heat lamps. She was also bright red. And appeared to be bald as a bowling ball. Until you looked closely and you could then see white fuzzy hair all over her head. So she wasnt completely bald, she just looked it (she didnt have a good head of hair till she was two though!).
Blondie nursed like a champ from the get go. Well, after we disregarded the advice of one of the nurses, she kept trying to shove to much into Blondies little mouth and another nurse finally pointed out how small her mouth and head were... Blondie lost over 10 % of her body weight over the course of our hospital stay, she also didnt have a BM, and my blood pressure wasnt going down. So they had both of us stay in the hospital an extra day. Blondies weight went down to 4 lbs 11 oz. I remember gazing at the itty bitty piece of perfect humanity that she was and thinking what a fragile and perfect bundle she was. For about a week or so after Blondie was born I would wake up at night drenched in sweat from all the water leaving my body. Thats how much water I was retaining! Blondie got a car seat test done before we went home, I guess they hook the baby up to monitors when they are below a certain weight and put them in their carseat for an hour or so to make sure they wont stop breathing in it. She passed. We didnt know for sure that she was going to be girl and were unprepared as to a take home outfit, so she wore one of Georges outfits home. The nurse that sent us on our way kept saying him and then apologizing and saying the outfit was throwing her off :o)
Blondie was SUCH a good baby. She only cried when she was angry about something and boy did you know she was angry! She was small with HUGE eyes that looked to big for her head, and she was just so so beautiful. I nursed her till she was 15 months old, when we decided we were ready to try for baby number three.
This is the end of the birth story of child number two!
What a great story! Cracking up at the "he caught her" part! too funny!
ReplyDeleteoh, and as I was reading the part of you trying to order and trying to watch all the kids...I could totally picture it! lol! dont mean to laugh...like Ang...but, yeah, that is funny!
ReplyDeleteYep, the scene was QUITE the scene:o) Pretty funny, though, I did feel bad about the owies and the busy stress that came of it.
ReplyDeleteSo jealous about the quick one push easiness! Still hoping for a delivery like that - you lucky girl you!
Wow, what scary complications! I only pushed twice with my Natalie, too (my 2nd!), which was crazy, since I pushed 2 hrs with my first! My Dr. (same one who delivered Z) would NOT take me seriously when I said I NEED TO PUSH! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is beautiful! I'm not sure why hearing/reading birth stories is comforting to me but it is. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete