Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Astro Boy Obsession


About a year ago Blondie started a random obsession with Astro Boy. We were at a toy store, the kids had some Christmas money to spend. Blondie started frantically saying she wanted an Astro Boy when we were walking down an aisle. I looked over and saw that indeed there were little Astro Boy figurines. Thats what she bought. The annoying thing was was the little toy was about 2 inches tall and would get lost in her covers at night or get misplaced and let me tell ya, when that happened it was the. end. of. the. world. One day when I couldnt find the toy I decided enough was enough, we were going back to the toy store to get a second one, so that when one was missing she would at least have another (btw, the toy was literally in her hand 24/7). We went and the Astro Boy toys were all drastically clearanced and there was one that was about 7 inches tall on sale for $5! I snatched it up, and was nearly giddy thinking that this wouldnt be so easily misplaced. She had a love affair with that toy that went on and on until one day she pulled the legs in opposite directions and they both came off. For a couple of days she carried around the legs and doll, even slept with the legs, but it just wasnt the same. She would cry and say she wanted another Astro Boy, but they no longer sold them anywhere. Gradually she talked about him less and less. But when it did come up (and this is months afterward) she would nearly start to cry, it was so hard trying to explain to her that they didnt sell Astro Boys in the store anymore. It was a good lesson to her in taking care of her things. She found the little ones (I did find little ones at a dollar store, and bought about 10 of them, which she loved, but it wasnt her special big one) in the basement the other day and has been carrying them everywhere in her pockets and backpack. I decided to look online to see if they had the big Astro Boys. They did! But for more than I really wanted to spend. She saw me looking at them and her face lit up like a 100 watt bulb and she started clapping and saying "Its the big Astro Boy with the chest that lights up!! Its the big Astro Boy with the chest that lights up!!" I tagged the sites that I had looked at to talk it over with the hubby when he got home. He said to go ahead and get her one, since we both know how much she loves it, and it could be her Christmas present.
Her Astro Boy came in the mail yesterday, we decided to give it to her early so that she actually would care about her presents from the grandparents ;o) When we pulled the "big Astro Boy with the chest that lights up" out of the box her smile was priceless! So worth the over expense of a toy that I had originally gotten for five bucks. Of course it hasnt left her side for even a minute. I keep reminding her not to be rough with it because she wont be getting another.
Last night when I was singing to her before bed she was making Astro Boys head bob to the music, I looked at her face and almost burst out laughing when I saw her copying Astro boys smile.
And the love affair begins again!

6 comments:

  1. Aw cute story -and so nice of you to get her a new one!! The things we do to see our kids smile, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, this totally reminds me of tristan's obsession with buzz lightyear and how his wings got lost. i have no clue who astro boy is, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can verify how much she loves her Astro Boy! She is so strange!!! That girl obsesses over the most random stuff, not a typical little girl:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, that story is awesome!! One to remember forever for sure! My kids obsess mostly over stuffed animals. I bought them the Scentsy ones, Eric has a lion and sleeps with it every night and when he wakes up in the morning he brings it out with him. So when its time for bed again he always says "mommy wheres my whyun" btw, I have some new posts! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable <3 I love how ardently she loves what she loves. Her passion and lack of care for what other people think of what she loves is pretty sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Ju, I love this! I can totally see little Kinder doing all of this...funny thing is, she STILL is obsessed w/ Astro Boy. :)

    ReplyDelete