Someone came and told me to follow her, it was so abrupt that I didnt even kiss my hubby goodbye! I started following her then turned and looked at my hubby and waved as she sped walked to the surgery room. We arrived and I about passed out. The room was HUGE, bright, white, lots of lights and scary looking tools, then in the center was a bed that looked like a lethal injection table. It was a narrow bed with a place for your arms sticking out on either side. It was way high too. The nurse told me to get on it and I didnt know how I was going to climb up, especially in my gown. Then she brought over a step stool so I climbed up and almost fell off the other side. My nurse came over and started strapping my arms down, then my legs at the speed of light. The anesthesiologist came and put an oxygen mask on me... I started to get a little panicky at this point. There wasnt enough air blowing out and I could hear the beep beep of my heart. Then I started to worry that I might not make it through surgery if there wasnt enough air coming out of the mask. The surgeon came over and said that I would be asleep in under 20 seconds. I started breathing gaspy like, coughed, then dont remember anything till I woke up laying on a normal hospital bed. My throat felt like fire and my stomach hurt. I heard someone talking to me and asking what my pain level was... I croaked out a 5. Then asked about R. She said he would be back soon. I put my hands up to my throat and she asked if I wanted ice chips. I said yes. She also gave me green jello. My face felt like it was asleep so I started scrunching it. She said I was making funny faces.
After I woke up all the way she wheeled me into a small room and R came in. As soon as I was able she brought my clothes told me to get dressed and then we were free to go. Oh, she gave me some wonderful toast. That tasted really good after not eating all day. R said that the surgeon talked to him and told him it took longer than he thought it would because it was more complicated than he thought it would be. R didnt get details so I dont know what that means. I go to a check up on the 7th so Im going to ask.
We got home and R and I noticed something... I now have a normal...

Bellybutton!! (please excuse my bruised, swollen, stretch marked stomach)
I knew my bellybutton looked weird but I thought it was due to being stretched out so many times. My hernia was a bump above my bellybutton, I didnt know it was also in it! I was very excited to see that my bellybutton is no longer strange looking. What a wonderful post surgery surprise!
Im still pretty sore, but am making progress. My hubby has been a wonderful help. Hes taking care of the kids, cleaning, and helping me (I couldnt get off the bed on my own for the first couple of days). As long as I dont bend over, cough, laugh, sneeze, pick up things that are really heavy, or breathe really deep, the pain is manageable. Im so glad that R was able to take this week off work to help me.
Glad you're making a good recovery. I find the ways things were done there so different from the way they're done here. I have never walked into theatre on my own, I've always been wheeled in in the bed, and transferred to the operating table. And here they wouldn't let you go home the same day after a hernia op.
ReplyDeleteYour experience is identical to mine! I was SO scared when I got into the operating room. For some reason the bright lights really scared me...I wanted it to be dimly lit. That seems less exposed or something. I hated having my arms out and strapped in. It was all so weird!
ReplyDeleteThat memory gap between the oxygen mask and waking up is weird, too. I wasn't gaspy before falling asleep, but I was very gaspy when I woke up. I was very thankful for the mask!
Sounds scary, but your interpretation of it is pretty funny I have to admit:o) I can see why your hubby found you amusing (not that I would be any more relaxed).
ReplyDelete