Sunday, October 2, 2011

George and Homeschooling

I have the joy of homeschooling my son. Some days it doesnt feel that way... I sit on the couch with him and urge him over and over again to do his work. If I try to venture away and do some much needed housework I'll come back and he *might* have one or two questions done. Ive tried incentives, Ive tried discipline, Ive tried doing school at different times of the day. The thing that works best is a promise that he can play the Wii after he finishes his school work until his sisters wake up from their naps. There are days I feel the irritation mounting in my shoulders, and I hate to admit, but I lose my patients with him at times. He tries to focus, he really does. Hes just all boy and likes to sit and daydream, or play with his pencil, or doodle. He would rather be riding his bike, playing with legos, or jumping on the trampoline. I force myself not to compare him to other kids, because hes not like them. He thinks outside the box, and if school isnt the way he thinks Im sure he'll be brilliant someday in something. He has a heart of gold and hes a little gentleman (most of the time) with his sisters. Almost daily he'll wrap his skinny arms around my neck and tell me he loves me, or that he thinks Im beautiful. I mean, what kind of husband is he going to be someday? Awesome, thats what. He likes to work hard outdoors with his Daddy, he helps me clean (actually likes to), and is always running errands for me (fetching diapers, baby wipes, or whatever else I may need at the time). So on the bad school days I just remind myself, I have this amazing opportunity to teach my son day in and day out what it means to be be part of our household, to love God, to treat others with respect, and to have a servants heart. He may not *love* the school work(there are some good school days mixed in with the frustrating ones), but a cool head on my part, bribery that he can play the Wii till his sisters wake up from a nap, and the reminder that this is the best place for my son (cause oh my word, he would be lost in a classroom) all make it worth it. And hey, I would miss him if he were at school all day :o)

4 comments:

  1. I can sure relate with the attention span! Boys are just different!! Maybe have "recess" in between classes? Or a special fun extra project he gets to work on if he does his work. Often kids do better learning through real life lessons. You could have a math lesson through cooking or something. I know you can't do that all the time but sometimes kids learn better outside the book and classroom. There are some good tips here: http://www.homeschool-your-boys.com/attentionspanofboys.html Maybe pick some fun extra thing each week to do whether it's outside or cooking or making something

    ReplyDelete
  2. George is blessed to have you for a Mom! I admire your ability and determination to homeschool. We have thought about if ofter and I just can't commit to doing it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a loving mama! I love what you did in this post writing about all the wonderful and good in the midst of the frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Debbi, and I think you're doing a great job! :) I can see Zachary being like this, so distractible. I'm trying to tell myself it's because he's only in preschool, but he will not do ANYTHING on his own! LOVE the reminders of the purposes of homeschooling, though - it's not just about academics, but so much more, about being a godly man & a productive part of the household and all that! :)

    ReplyDelete