Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shots and Tonsils

This week I took Tiny and Happy in for their well child check ups. I went with just myself and the kids and was a bit nervous about calming two crying children on my own, but I grocery shop with four kids, and do most erranding on my own... I even took three kids to most of my OB appointments when I was pregnant with Happy (why pay a babysitter to watch the kids, or use a babysitting favor when it could be used for going on a date with my hubs??). I probably will do the same thing with four kids with this pregnancy. So I knew I COULD do it but just wasnt thrilled about it. Anyway, Tiny got the shots first, she cried (of course) I loved on her for a few moments and gave her a piece of gum then handed her off to George so that Happy could get her shots. Tiny stopped fussing and I looked over and saw that George had his hands over her ears! Thats what Tiny does whenever shes scared is cover her ears :o) I thought it was really sweet that he did that and noticed that she always covers her ears when she is scared. That definately deserved a fist bump with him... Anyway, Happy got hers and I nursed her and she stopped crying almost right away. So it wasnt so bad. Tiny is in the 10th percentile for both her height and weight. Shes gone up a bit! Happy was in the 50th for her height and not even on the chart for her weight :o/ She weighed as much as the other two girls at one but shes a lot longer than they both were. She takes after her Daddy and brother. Long and lean, thats what the doc always says. Happy is also my first baby with a normal sized head! The other kids all had larger ones, the doctor always would comment "They have a big head", but no such comment with Happy :o)

Something else that happened at the appointement was talk about removing Tiny's tonsils. Tiny has had strep throat a bunch of times and she has a hard time swallowing. She also snores and has over sized tonsils. So getting the tonsils out is probably in her near future. I got mine out when I was five and was a MUCH healthier child once they were gone. So Im for it. But she has delayed speech (like George did) and the doc said that taking her tonsils out would probably delay it even more so he would like her to go to speech therapy first, and then once shes caught up get the tonsils out. He also said that they may go down in size, it happens about 50% of the time. So we start the process of a hearing screening and then speech therapy for Tiny. I will be THRILLED if it helps her communicate better. Shes very very quiet and shy (she'll even get shy with US if shes the center of attention) so I dont know how much of the "speech problem" is her being quiet or if its an actual problem. When she does talk its pretty clear, but she WHINES A LOT instead of communicating so if they showed me how to help with that besides ignoring her until she asks for what she wants, I would again be so happy.

Funny story when I was calling to set up her hearing screening. I was talking to the lady on the phone. She was asking questions, I thought she asked "How long has it been since shes had her earrings cleaned?" I was like, weird how does she know that she has her ears pierced? And what does that have to do with hearing? ALSO its so embarrassing that Im going to have to say almost three years! I said "How long has it been since she got her earrings cleaned?!" The lady was like "No, her hearing screened!" "Ohhhhh!" Then I started laughing at myself. I think I need my hearing screened!

Well, its time to get the crazies to bed!

4 comments:

  1. I hope it all works out well for Tiny! We've been down the speech therapy/hearing test/tonsils out road. I felt apprehensive, but in the end, I'm so glad we've done all of those things! God really provides helpful, smart people that help our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS so funny! A hearing question mixed with a hearing problem:o) Oh and I LOVE that George covered Tiny's ears - what a good big brother! He's paying attention to the small details, it just makes me smile:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great writer, Julie! I felt like I was at the doctor's office with you! The hearing screened comment is a hoot! That would be me probably! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a kind big brother!!
    I hope everything works out well for you all with Tiny's screening etc. I had to take my eldest son for a screening test when he was 18 months but it was all fine, and he started to talk one day out of the blue..!!
    It was really funny about you mishearing the woman's question - ha ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete