Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tiny's Surgery Day

Tiny got her tonsils out yesterday. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning! I slept *maybe* two hours the night before. I was so nervous about the whole thing. Every chance I got while we waited for Tiny's surgery I would hug her, or kiss her, or smell her hair. She was so tired while we checked in and waited. She kept saying that she wanted to go to sleep. I told her she would soon. R wasnt going to be able to get to the hospital until around 6:45 (the surgery was set for 7:00)because of work so my sister came and sat with us and we also had some good family friends come. Tiny started out very nervous and shy but all the workers were so nice and complimentative to her that she soon got a big head and was pretty relaxed. She was liking the attention :o)

When we were checking in she got her hospital bracelets, the lady printed one up for Tinys giraffe "Beebee".

When I got Tiny into her gown and pants she got so excited about them, she twirled around and laughed :o) They had an area for kids to play and do little craft things while they waited. Tiny also got to pick out which mask (gas mask) she wanted and what smell. They let her hold the mask. She kept picking it up and smelling it, it was cute. R arrived. We talked to the anesthesiologist then a nurse. She asked us which way we thought Tiny would handle being taken away best, in a wagon, carried, or us carrying her to the doors. When I drop her off places I just put her down and walk away so I thought she would probably do better being carried by the nurse from the room we were in. I also thought I would handle that better than carrying her down the long, long, loooooooong hallway. Just the thought of the build up walking with her made me tear up. When the time came the nurse picked her up and carried her out. We went out to the hall and watched her be carried away. Her face was peeking over the nurses shoulder just watching us. We waved till they were gone. The hallway was so long that by the time they got to the end of it we could hardly see her. I held it together, but just barely. We then went to the waiting room. The surgery only took about 30'ish minutes. The doctor came and got us (R and I) and we consulted with him. He said she was done then he gave us instructions for her care for the next few weeks. We then went to another room (just R and I) where we waited for her to come. They wheeled her up to our door in a bed. She was curled up on her side with her eyes open (I was sooooo excited to see that, the thing I was most nervous about was her being put under and then not waking up). They were totally glazed over and she was stoic faced. R picked her up and brought her over to me. The main thing they wanted her to do was drink before she left. I gave her a drink she took a few swallows and then fell asleep. She slept on me for about 45 minuted and then R wanted to hold her (my sister came to the room and sat with us, our friends came by and saw her and then had to head home, they had gotten up at 3:30 to come!). She slept on R for a couple hours.

Tiny sleeping on her daddys lap after surgery, isnt that cute how shes holding his thumb?

R had worked all night so was starting to fall asleep so he decided to pass her off to me. While we were making the switch it woke her up. She drank some more. Since she was awake and drinking, they started the check out process. We got her dressed back into her own clothes, she got the iv out, then we headed home.
Yesterday she got pretty grumpy by the end of the night. There was a huge bit of drama and three different pharmacies to finally get her perscription, so by the time I finally got home with it her pain meds had worn off, so she was hurting. Through the night I set an alarm to give her her medicine. She did really well. Today Ive tried to really stay on top of it and shes been doing good. R and I think shes talking more than she normally does! Maybe part of her quietness had something to do with her tonsils. It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's all over and that it went well.
    When Daniel had his appendix out and was brought back to the ward his eyes were open wide and he was staring at me like I was a ghost! It was so freaky!
    I hope she'll carry on being talkative.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it went well! It reminded me of when Austin had to go under a year ago for a probe study-- I hated seeing him leave, knowing he'd be put under, etc...
    Hopefully you'll all be well-rested soon!

    ReplyDelete