Im stealing this from a friend. I tend to not do these because I dont think stuff like this about me is that interesting (or that people really care to read it about me) but Ive been coming up dry in the way of blog posts lately. So, here it is...
1. Something near and dear to my heart: Is forgein missions. R and I were planning to go into forgein missions but life and family happened. We wanted to be debt free before we started deputation and while paying off school loans and all that lovely stuff we kept having kids. Now we feel that God wants us here for now, so here we are. It doesnt change the stirring I feel whenever I talk to a missionary or listen to one who comes to church. Maybe God has that in store for us, but after we raise our family, who knows?
2. The most fun Ive ever had: This is a hard one for me. Ive had a great life and could name 10 things off the top of my head... Camp on the beach in Hawaii every year, the trip to NZ with my school class, the much traveling I did with my family when I was young, a vacation we took to Kauai (when I was 17) as a family the year before my brother died, a trip we took to Texas a few years ago, our wedding, hiking in the mountains as newly weds... But the thing that really stands out in my mind was our 10 year anniversary trip last year. Such a good time with my love, it makes me want to go on one annually, but I think people would get tired of watching our kids. We went to Kansas City and went to Worlds of Fun, then went to a water park the next day. We were only gone for three days and two nights but it was WONDERFUL. We had fun just hanging out, sleeping in, eating lots, holding hands everywhere (no kids to keep track of), just being together... It was lovely. We got really really sunburned. Like, we got blisters kind of sunburn. It hurt. A lot.
*Im not very good at just answering with one thing, am I?*
3. True friends are: Friends that you can have fun with when your not doing anything but chatting. I love friends who make me laugh. Ones who I can talk to and not run out of things to talk about. One thing I really like in a true friend are ones that listen well and who you can be yourself around.
4. Something that makes me happy: Good food. For real. I really love food... a lot. But, that is a really shallow answer, because of course spending time with my family, days off for my hubs, and good friends make me happy... Lots of stuff makes me happy.
*Still having a hard time narrowing things down to one answer*
5. A good way to spend a sunny day: Wow, there are so many ways to spend a sunny day... Bike riding, going someplace that involves water (beach, lake, pool), a nice walk, taking the kids to the park... Yep, lots of ways to spend time in the sun.
6. My favorite celebratory food: CHEESECAKE! Need I say more? I ate so much cheesecake after having baby number 4 that it put a grinding halt on my weight loss. Had to ditch the cheesecake. Ohhh, how I love that stuff.
Even though I think my answers are boring I like reading other peoples, so take these questions and answer them on your blogs... or in my comments.
Love your answers :) What about doing local (or semi-local) missions work that involves the kids? It's easy to think of "missions" as international but it doesn't necessarily have to be so! the mission field is out your front door! There are many neat ways you could do easy outreach from doing club in the park to helping out at a homeless mission to having your kids put together little care packages to hand out to homeless people, or finding local organizations that help foster kids and having your kids put together something for them. Another great idea could be to support a child from another country through Compassion International and save money as a family- or else take on a missionary your church supports- writing them and the kids sending them letters/drawings. Local is a great place to start though. And who knows, maybe someday when the kids are older you could all take a trip somewhere (our youth group is going to an orphanage in Mexico this year! i'd love to go along in the future!) It could be to go help out a missionary your church supports and stay for a week or so. Or, maybe someday you and R will get to go somewhere. best advice though- don't wait! find a way to involve the kids now and give them a heart for helping people right around them!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI should clarify my answer to the near and dear question. My parents were/are home missionaries so I grew up with that. I know that there is a great need here but what R and I felt really led to was Africa. He wanted to church plant and teach in a Bible Institute training men to carry on the work of reaching their people. Training missionaries to become missionaries to their home. I cant put it into words very good tonight, I deleted my first response because it didnt explain very well... Does that make sense? And yes, again there is a need here and we are really involved in our church and lots of kids programs. But thats where our hearts are. I always say after we raise our kiddos we can sell our house and travel around helping missionaries and R could teach modules or something. We shall see.
DeleteInteresting Julie! Maybe I'll give it a go too.
ReplyDeleteYay Cheesecake! And Kansas City. And foreign missions. And long answers to short questions. Boy we have alot in common :-) I might steal this list too....
ReplyDelete