Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dentist and Vacation

We had a dentist that we liked.  The dental hygienist on the other hand was so rough that our gums would throb for three days after our visit.  We kept going, but our insurance changed and didnt cover cleanings like they used to, and any work done on our teeth was pretty expensive.  The last visit there was four'ish years ago.  We looked for a new one and tried a place in town, but we were not impressed at all so decided to not go back.  That was about 2 and a half years ago.  After that we just kept forgetting to look and didnt really know where to start.  A couple months ago R said that we should find a new one so we looked on line and randomly picked one that was pretty close and made an appointment.  I went yesterday and was VERY PLEASED.  The dentist came and introduced himself before my cleaning, just because, and the dental hygienist was gentle and super friendly.  We started chatting and she mentioned we had the same last name.  I thought that was cool (not that Hall is an uncommon last name) and I said that I was pretty sad to change my last name when I got married because my old one was uncommon.  She too felt the same way.  We talked some more and found out we had mutual friends.  She was going to go to the college I went to but her mom passed away the week before she was going to go.  She also grew up going to the camp that R went to and that George is going to next week.  So much in common with someone I just met.  We were chatting it up when the dentist came in and he even made a comment about how much we were talking :o)  It was like an instant friendship, I nearly friended her on FB, but thought she might think Im weird, so I resisted the urge.  Every time I go to a new dentist they ask me if Ive ever had braces, because my teeth are fairly straight (which I havent).  I got asked by her yesterday... What was funny was she put her fingers in my mouth, pulled my cheeks apart, and looked in my mouth and said "You have VERY nice teeth!".  Well, shucks... Make me blush.  I went home with raving reviews about our new dentist to R (whom goes next week).  I told him what she said about my teeth and he kind of rolled his eyes and smiled and goes "THATS why you like the new dentist so much, you got compliments on your teeth!"  Hes got the funniest comments sometimes.  Ok, anyway, enough about that, I sound really vain.

R had last week off work.  It was very sad to see him go back.  We got SO MUCH done around the house.  We're completely ready for baby to come.  Next school year we might be having a young guy living in our basement while he goes to college.  We have everything ready for him now too.  R cant sit still.  Its like "you're on vacation, relax!"  But he cant.  He built walls downstairs, installed a toilet and sink to make a bathroom down there.  Made a picnic table for the kids.  Organized closets in our bedroom and the girls' bedroom.  Organized cupboards, shampooed our carpets, organized the garage, helped me with laundry and meals.  He organized our storage area in the basement and also made a little "excersize room" for us to use after I have the baby... Im sure theres more but he was so busy that its hard to remember all that he did!  Oh, he finished staining our deck and fence.  Really he cant sit still!  Him being busy made me keep going so I got a lot done too.  During his vacation we did get to go out on a date for our anniversary and we also went out later in the week for my birthday.  We celebrated with my sister and her family.  We also took the kids to a fishing derby.  You probably saw this on FB but they had drawings for prizes so I entered all the kids.  EACH kid won a prize!  NICE!  We rarely win things so it was fun to walk back to our fishing spot with our loot.  This derby also served a free lunch.  We didnt catch any fish but had fun winning prizes and eating. 

Our dog got fixed a couple of weeks ago.  They said that she would need her stitches out.  We could bring her in or do it ourselves.  Us being the non farm kids that we are felt really uncomfortable taking the stitches out on our own.  The vet is kind of far away but its on the way to church.  Yesterday we brought her along to VBS hoping to get the stitches out on the way home to save an extra trip out that way.  The vet apparently isnt open on Mondays.  So not wanting the dog to have to spend another hot day in the van, I yesterday got the scissors out laid the dog down and extracted them on my own.  I was pretty proud of myself.  Call me Vet Julie if you like.

Well, time to get the kiddos into bed.  Its another early morning for us tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh doesn't it make a difference having a dentist that you like?! (hygienist too!) So glad you were able to find one you liked!

    Wow! R is productive!! Send him our way! that will be neat having someone else staying there. is it an exchange student or just someone you know? probably fun for the kids!! Way to go on removing the stitches! I don't know if I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a good dentist and doctor and getting established with them is such a good feeling!
    I had to laugh at Randy's comment to you!

    Wow sounds like you got so much done! That is great!
    I loved that your post ends with you taking the stitches out. (-: I so miss the motivation that comes with pregnancy. While I was more tired, I had bursts of energy and motivation.

    ReplyDelete