Those of you who go to church with us or are my FB friends are probably tired of hearing about this but I need to put the story on my blog so that I remember Georges first camp experiance. On Saturday we went to the church to pick George up from his week away. I instantly noticed his face, he had a rug burn type cut under his eye, and a little bit of bruising under it, then when I hugged him he said "OW!" and gingerly rubbed his ear, which was HUGELY swollen. I was like "What happened Bud?" He said "I dont know." His counselor said that he fell out of the top bunk during the night. Haha! Listening to George talk it sounds like he fell out of bed and didnt tell anyone? He also said something about hitting wood with is face. Anyway, that explained the face damage. His ear was a mosquito bite. Hes allergic to mosquito bites and they always swell up really big. Hes just never been bitten on the tip of his ear before :o) Me being the mean mom that I am looked over at R and was barely surpressing the giggles, I could tell R was having a hard time not laughing as well. Pretty dramatic home coming from our boy! George is used to sleeping in a queen size bed, the twin top bunk evidently didnt allow the moving around that hes accustomed to.
Right after we picked him up from the church we headed 2 hours north to go to R's parents house. George talked all the way there about camp. He was super tired and said he wanted to take a nap but as he was lying on his pillow he would keep telling us more things about it.
I did his camp laundry today and was impressed to find that everything was there! He also didnt spend all this candy money! From what George has said and what Ive seen (folded towl in his suitcase that Im sure George didnt fold, etc.) Im very happy with his counselor. I think he did a splendid job with the boys. George said that he had SO much fun and wanted to go back next year. He also said that he missed me and R a little bit but had lots of fun.
Today we got a "new" van! Its not real pretty but it will hopefully get us where we need to go and be reliable. Its a 2000 Chevy Astro. My parents had a couple of them while we were growing up and those things ran and ran and ran. They put 300,000 miles on them, hopefully ours will be like theirs! Its also an all wheel drive which will be really nice in the winter.
Anyway, just wanted to post about Georges first year of camp.
*I have been informed as of tonight that George said he didnt take a shower or brush his teeth all week. The shower because they went swimming. Im not sure why he thought he didnt need to brush his teeth though :o)
Glad he had a good time-- what a relief for you! Autumn could go next year so I'm sure she will, but I don't know what I'm going to do when she's gone for so long-- it's sad!
ReplyDeleteHa about the non-cleaning; I'm sure you couldn't wait to scrub him clean head to toe!
Such a crack up! You forgot to mention that when he fell out of bed he didn't even wake up! Crazy kid... I will be vouch for the fact that he really did look pathetic and that was seeing him today, when his ear wasn't swollen anymore and it's been a couple of days. Can't imagine the patheticness WITH the swollen ear!
ReplyDeleteI love your new blog design!!
ReplyDeleteIt's always so nice when our kids come home from somewhere and they just want to tell you EVERYTHING! I'm glad he had a good time. Some of my kids are allergic to mosquito bites too and we've had quite a few bites on the ears - they land up looking like satellite dishes!
He, he -- I swam in a lake and never showered or brushed my teeth either my 1st time at camp when I was 8. Couldn't tell the difference in clean and dirty yet!
ReplyDelete