Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Birth Story For Our Baby "Trust"

It all started with contractions that lasted for three hours, and were about 5,7, and 10 minutes apart.  They never did get harder but were painful enough that I had to breath through them and shake my leg.  These were in the middle of the night.  I even picked up the phone once to call my hubby and tell him to come home, but changed my mind since the contractions were irregular.  They finally tapered off and I was able to fall back to sleep.  Once an hour I would have a really hard one that would wake me up, but it was just one and once an hour.  That morning when my hubby got home I told him we might have a baby today.  R's parents came out to visit as Happy would start her chemo treatments on Monday (this was Saturday).  ALL. DAY. LONG.  I would contract, sometimes severely, but they were always irregular.  We went out for lunch, shopped, and then went back to the house and talked.  I started to time the contractions and they went from being 15 minutes, down to 10, and then 7.  They also were getting VERY painful.  What I didnt want to do though was go to the hospital and get sent home.  My mom and sister were going to be in the room for the actual birth so I didnt want my sister to make an unneeded trip out to the hospital either.  My mom was timing the contractions and I kept having them.  The night before I had packed a hospital bag, just incase, so I didnt need to pack one.  I however didnt put our toothbrushes, my make-up and things like that in it.  I told R that he better get those put in the bag!  My in-laws decided to stay the night so that if I was in labor they could stay with the kids so that my mom could go to the hospital with us.  Soon my contractions were 4 minutes apart, thats when we decided that I should go in.  BUT I hadnt shaved my legs for a couple days so I jumped in the shower real quick and shaved!

R grabbed our hospital bag, and the babys diaper bag, we said good-bye and off we went.  My contractions slowed down a little bit in the van and I started to think, "Oh great we're going to get sent home" But they were HARD and PAINFUL so I knew even if they had slowed down I would be having the baby within the next day or so.  We arrived and soon my sister and mom came.  They sent me to the triage room and no one came to talk to us.  We were in there for about an hour before a nurse came.  She didnt think I was really in labor because I hadnt dilated past a one.  I KNEW that I was.  With my other kids I took for-ever to dilate, but once I made it to a 5, I would be pushing with in a half hour.  I told her that and she still left me in there.  She said she would come check again in an hour.  So I kept laboring, R would hold my hand and my sister rubbed my legs (I start shaking when Im in labor).  My contractions were consistently about 6 minutes apart.  The nurse came back in and checked me and I was still only a 2.  She said that the doctor was going to have me stay but I might still get sent home if I didnt dilate more.  I was like, "Get sent home and what?  Have the baby at home?!"  It was ridiculous, this is baby number FIVE, I KNOW what labor feels like!  I was NOT having braxton hicks!  My contractions started to get closer together and extremely painful.  The triage room that I was in was really tiny and the bed was very narrow and hard.  My mom and sister decided to go wait in the waiting room because my mom had the chair and my sister was tired of standing (shes 30 weeks pregnant), there was only room for a chair right by the bed, where R was sitting, and then at the foot where my mom was sitting.  They said to call if I finally got a room.  By this time I had been laboring in there for about 3 hours.  The nurse still hadnt given me an IV.  We asked if I could have anything to take some of the pain away.  Im an epi user and didnt plan on having a natural birth.  She said no.  I was really trying to keep my shakes under control because I knew if I started shaking everything would be worse and I wouldnt be able to handle the pain anymore.  A couple hours later my sister came in to see what was going on and was like "JU, your contractions are 2 minutes apart!  What is the nurse thinking?!"  She went and told her and the nurse still didnt care!  My sister left.  A couple minutes later I said "Hun go find the nurse and demand that she get the doctor, Im going to have the baby in this room!"  He looked at the monitor and my contractions were now one minute apart.  He went and got her, the nurse was like "I can check her again and call the doctor but that doesnt mean the doctor is going to want to get out of bed to see her."  She put the gel on her fingers to check me and I had a giant contraction.  I was holding onto R and was grunting trying not to scream.  She was standing there like she was bored and annoyed that she had to wait through the contraction.  She checked me and I was at a FIVE!  I told her that I went REALLY fast once I dilated that far.  She finally called the doctor and I got moved to a birthing room.  I still didnt have an IV.  We got into the birthing room and a different nurse checked me and said "THE BABY IS BREACH!  I feel legs!"  I at that same time was like "I HAVE TO PUSH!  I REALLY NEED TO PUSH!"  I then was in SO MUCH PAIN, that I was thrashing around on the bed.  My mom and sister arrived and my mom was about to go into hysterics seeing me like that.  My sister goes to my mom "MOM either get ahold of yourself or get out!"  Hahaha!  I later found that really funny, at the time I didnt even hear it.  I was holding onto R's neck with my face in his neck about to pass out.  I started to yell "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!"  I cant even explain how horrible the pain was.  Im normally a quiet birther, I might kind of go "oh, oh, oh, ouchie ouchie" but thats about it.  I was literally screaming at times.  The nurse with a brain, that realized the baby was breach, got an IV into me.  The doctor who didnt believe I was in labor and never came to see me arrived.  She told me they were going to have to do an emergency C-Section.  I said I didnt care what they did, just do it!  Every time I contracted it hurt so much that I would arch and thrash around and yell.  They wheeled me out and down to the operating room.  R wasnt allowed in.  They got me in there and the anaesthesiologist told me he was going to do a spinal. I have a curve in my back that makes it very hard for them to get epidurals in.  They usually have to come and adjust it about 3 times before it works.  With my third baby it never did work properly.  So he tried to get it in and started to get mad at me!  He was like, "You need to bend your back more, I cant get the spinal in"  Keep in mind, Im in full blown labor, have a babys feet in my birthing canal and he wanted me to curl my back more.  I tried, I really really tried.  The nurse that was nice was holding my hand and was like "One more contraction hunny, just one more and he'll have the spinal in and you wont feel anymore pain".  He tried again and couldnt get it.  He then started to almost yell at me, he got mad and said "Well, since you arent going to curl your back Im going to have to put you to sleep.  This will take more than one more contraction, and you know the risk of getting put under means that you could die or the it could hurt the baby"  I remember looking at the lights and thinking this had to me a nightmare.  I think I was close to passing out.  I had several more contractions and R said he could hear me crying out clear in the waiting room that he was in.  During one contraction I was holding onto the IV pole for something to squeeze and the anaesthesiologist came over and pried my fingers off it in a very rude way to put a heartbeat monitor on my finger.  FINALLY I was all prepped and they put the mask on my face.  I fell into a blissful sleep.

I woke up in a different room.  As I came to I realized I was in as much pain as before!  I saw the first nurse at the sink washing her hands.  I whimpered out "Why am I still in pain?  Why do I still hurt?"  She just washed her hands and didnt say anything.  I was about to go into hysterics when I saw my moms angelic face come into view.  I started crying and saying "I hurt still mom, it still hurts."  She started crying and saying "Im soooo sorry honey"  I felt hot tears slipping down my face.  It felt like one long giant contraction that wouldnt go away.  My hubby was told to go with the baby so he wasnt in there.  I think God worked it out that I was going to have my mom and sister at the birth so that they could be with me at this moment.  I would have totally lost it had they not been there.  My sister came in and held my hand and kept saying "This is ridiculous!  WHY doesnt she have something for the pain?!  This is STUPID, she just had an emergency C-section and doesnt have anything!  Did you know that she just found out her daughter has cancer?!"  My mom said that during this time I said, "This is one long nightmare from hell", I dont remember saying that, but it was!  Finally they hooked me up to some morphine.  It took THREE hours to get ontop of the pain.  I was put under for about an hour for the C-Section, I still dont know why they couldnt have given me something in my IV while I was in surgery, or even right after.  That stupid nurse, I think enjoyed seeing me in pain.  I went through the labor, and a C-Section with nothing at all for pain relief.  The only time I didnt feel was when I was put to sleep.  Labor started at 3 pm and I had him at 1:52 am.

The doctor said that she had a hard time getting the baby out.  His feet were stuck in the birthing canal and his head was stuck up in my ribs.  She had to cut a T in my uterus to get him out so any future births would have to be an automatic C-Section.

The baby was taken straight to the NICU.  He had some breathing problems.  Currently he has 7 IV's for all sorts of things.  He had a pretty good night last night.  He weighed 6 lbs 3 oz and was 17 inches long.  Hes gorgeous <3  We picked out a really special name for him since he was born during a very difficult time, we're trusting God for our Happy and since her brother was born the day before her first chemo treatment we wanted to pick a name that would remind us to keep our focus on God.

His blog name will be "Trust".

Im so thankful for the awesome coach that my hubby always is during labor, my sister said that at one point I was grabbing him around the neck and punching his back.  That story always makes me laugh, which hurts right now, but it IS funny.  My mom and sister did pretty stinking good too.  Im also glad that Trust was ok through this all.  Hes sooooo cute, I cant wait to hold him.

10 comments:

  1. Julie that sounds like a nightmare- I can't believe how that nurse especially treated you; she should not be a nurse anymore. Wow. I'm so thankful that you and the baby are (relatively) okay and that nothing horrible happened because of that awful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie hearing this again made me feel tense and teary and clench all of those muscles, just almost feeling your pain. Love that you felt the need to shower and shave! That was always a priority to me too and I wondered if other women were the same way. (-: Trust is a beautiful baby and I am praying that he can be cuddled very soon by his mommy and daddy. Thanks for ending it with the humorous picture of you punching Randy's back. What a great guy!! After seeing you two yesterday I can tell he isn't holding it against you. (-: haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, you amaze me! I can't imagine having to go through all that pain and just have doctors and nurses treat you like you don't matter. I'm so glad everything worked out fine in the end and that you were able to have your Mom, sister and R with you! I agree with Tania, that punching story cracked me up too. You truly have a wonderful husband! I'll keep praying for you and your family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julie how absolutely terrible. I would definitely see what you can do about reporting that nurse so no other moms have to go through this awful experience - and the doctor should be reported for not bothering to show up, too. I thought the picture of you punching Randy at the end was hilarious, too, and funny that you had to go shave!! I'm so, so sorry you had to go through all this pain, I have been thinking about you and praying for you, Taylor, Jeremiah, Randy, and each of your children so much. Thanks for sharing all of this, and I'm SO glad it's OVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh julie, reading this story made my heart hurt. i read parts of it out loud to josh and he told me he'd have punched that anesthesiologist in the face! (and really, he's not a violent man, you know!) i'm so thankful for that one nice nurse and especially for your mom, sister and husband supporting you. it truly sounds like a nightmarish ordeal. and i agree with carrie's comment about reporting that nurse. she should be fired. i love you and am praying for you and your sweet babies every time i think of you all...which happens to be a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ju:o) I love that you showered and shaved your legs! I'm with you and Tania, if I know it's happening and I am home I totally do the same thing! Unfortunately with #1 I didn't get to and it seems like I was pretty hairy (after all it wasn't a hot summer day so pants with hairy legs were no biggie) not to mention greasy hair by the time I had an opportunity to shower again:/ Yuck!
    I get a crack up every time I think about you beating your adorning sweet husband:o) Poor guy, but so attentive to your needs.
    So, yeah that was a stressful night... I'm glad we came and I've wished more than once since then that I had shared a few more words with that horrible nurse. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just -- I want to hit that nurse! HOW do they get jobs like that if they're not willing to HELP people and show compassion?! Oh, good grief. I'm all frowny now. Need to calm down...

    *breathe*

    Okay, more importantly, congratulations on your sweet baby boy. I'm praying like crazy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondering if that rude nurse was the one I had in the triage when I had my first baby. My nurse was nasty and refused to believe that I was in labor. Even when i was in tears and out of my mind in pain, she was hatefully rude to me. I will never be able to forget how that felt. My doctor also was nasty and rude. It is so unacceptable for them to treat people that way. I'm shocked at how they treated you. I hope they felt some amount of remorse later because they should have been absolutely ashamed. That just infuriates me.
    Congratulations on your new baby! Your family is in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaun and Davis HammondJuly 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

    Julie,
    Words cannot express how bad I feel for you, your labor sounds horrible, horrible. As a fellow c-sectioner and mother of a breecher, I CANNOT imagine going through that without pain killers! I have no words for how outraged I feel on your behalf.
    I am so grateful for you that it is over and hope and pray that you will soon hold baby Trust. Our daily-hourly-minute-by-minute prayers are with you, Randy and the family. Thank you for blogging, by the way. As non-Facebookers, we've been checking this website daily, and sometimes hourly. Your words are such an encouragement.
    God's infinite blessings on you and the family.
    Shaun & Davis & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, seriously, I cannot believe the way you were treated. People can be such idiots. I hope that with time the horrible experience will fade and you'll just be able to remember the sweet joy of having a new little one to love on.

    ReplyDelete