I thought I would share some facts about neuroblastoma.
Ive had several people ask, "since she just has microscopic cancer left why does she have to go to stem cell, radiation, and anti-body therapy?"
Its a good question and one that I actually asked!
Taylors Neuroblastoma is aggressive.
If neuroblastoma comes back... There isnt anything that they can do to get rid of it again.
The cancer doesnt respond to the chemo and treatment the second time around.
We actually know a little boy right now who is in that boat.
TAYLOR WOULD MOST LIKELY DIE.
So we go on. We want to go over the top with treatments.
I asked what her chances are that her cancer will return.
She has a 40% chance that it WILL come back.
We want to do all we can.
Some other facts about neuroblastoma.
70% of kids are stage FOUR when their cancer is found.
By then it has spread to other parts of the body.
Once they are at stage four they only have a 30% chance of survival.
Taylor was one of the "lucky" 30% that had it found before it was stage four (God bless her pediatrician!).
So this is why we go on... Wouldnt you do the same?
I can't imagine being in your position and having to make these types of decisions, especially with Taylor so young. I absolutely would go on. I know you trust God to heal Taylor and I know you trust your doctors. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be doing anything different. Keep holding on to God and trusting in Him, and He will not steer you wrong. Praying for you each moment and so sorry to hear that Taylor is in the hospital again with a fever. Praying so hard that you can spend Thanksgiving ALL at home.
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for your sweet little Taylor. I agree with Carrie, don't let anyone tell you how to be a mommy and daddy to Taylor. God gave her to you and He knows the plans He has for her and you. May you each have strength, comfort, and courage for each day. Praying for healing for Taylor. You are loved! Jodi W. from the Rocky Mountains.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely I would go on! Prayig for continued wisdom as you walk through this! And, of course, for Taylor's complete and total healing.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right to do whatever you can for your daughter. She was given to YOU, not to anyone else. But if you're looking for support, know that this nurse says of COURSE keep going! David often tells me that statistically its the last details of a project that are the hardest to conquer, its the same with cancer - the final, detailed breakthrough is often the hardest to achieve. It must be so heartbreaking to watch - asking for strength and grace for all of you. - Lana
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. I don't know you so I wouldn't normally comment but our good friends have a son with neuroblastoma. He was given six months to live after they spent two years doing all the treatments they could (chemo, radiation, surgery, etc). When the doctors said there was nothing left for them to do, they sought alternative therapies (specifically, anti-cancer diets and Chinese medicine). That was four years ago and their son is healthier than ever! He will always live with the cancer but his new diet and natural remedies have prevented the tumor from growing. I pray that you won't need any more treatments but it's good to know that there IS hope beyond our western medicine answers.
ReplyDelete