Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Academy Concert

Tuesday, the kids had their closing concert.  Let me tell ya, the girls' "haircuts" were not easy to hide!!  I didn't want either of them to get teased because of their weird hair.  I was able to hide most of the hack job with thick headbands and LOTS of barrettes.  I was pretty pleased with the final outcome.  I also curled their hair for the concert.  The kids did so good singing!  I absolutely love the concerts the academy puts on!  George started the academy school year out with some struggles.  He has a hard time getting words from his head to his mouth.  If he doesn't know how to act he sometimes acts really awkward.  Since this was something new and he didn't know anyone, he had a rough start with some of the boys.  All things were worked out and I have to tip my hat to the pastor who runs the academy.  He handled everything so well.  Its been a growing year for George and Im super duper proud of him.  Since he has a hard time with words, speech class was incredibly difficult for him.  I think his first speech was a flop.  Then something lit inside of him and he just kept improving!  His papers he brought home with the grades kept getting more and more glowing remarks.  My heart would burst whenever I saw them.  Last night there was awards handed out to kids who worked extra hard or showed really good Christian character.  I appreciated that they didn't hand out awards for the best at things, the pastor said that most of the time being the best at something is just a talent that you don't have to work extra hard at.  But when you show that you are trying hard and improving at things, that is something to be noticed.  Anyway, when he got to the "Most Improved in Speech" award he even said some special words, and you could tell he was proud of the recipient... and then called Georges name.  Even now thinking of it a sob welled up in my throat.  I cant even explain how much George has to work at things.  Yet he doesn't complain.  He doesn't seem to really notice that he has to work ten times harder than the kid next to him.  I love his non sorry self attitude.  It was an award well earned.

The kids brought home "All About Me" books that they worked on through the school year.  R and I had a good laugh over some of the things the kids wrote.  For example George wrote in the spot "What special job do you have at home" that his special job was "Making my parents bed" complete with a drawn picture of him making our bed.  LOL.  I have him make it sometimes, but didn't realize I did that much, hahaha!  All three kids had funny stuff written down.  We were getting a kick out of those books. 

Being a parent and watching your kids preform and be noticed for hard work is pretty neat.  Im super thankful for the year the kids had at Academy.  George has grown in social skills, and confidence.  It was a safe place for him to spread his wings. 

Today, I got encouraging texts from two cousins and two friends.  We are in an awkward somewhat discouraging place right now.  It meant a lot to me to have people pop in and say they are praying for us.  We are blessed with some thoughtful family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment