Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Blondie

As I watched the sky slowly lighten I had to make sure my attitude was one of true thankfulness this morning. Even though I was "up" I would much rather have been in bed still snuggled under my warm covers and sleeping. Blondie was awake and hungry and chattering as usual. Her internal clock is set for earlier than all of the rest of ours. I was looking at her picture on our wall the other day and remembered back to the days when we were trying to get pregnant with her. There were many, many prayers said and there were also tears of discouragement. It was a blessed day (at 4:45 am) when the pregnancy tester was FINALLY positive instead of the usual negative that I had grown accustomed to over the past two years. I remember calling my sister at 5:30 in the morning to see if she wanted to go to Walmart with me to pick up another tester. Just in case the one I had just taken had been a bad one. I was scared to get my hopes up until I took another one to confirm that yes, I was pregnant. Sure enough, the second one was positive.

My pregnancy was bad from the start. I had such bad heartburn from the moment of conception that I thought I had acid reflux. Then the swelling started and didnt stop till I had Blondie. My sciatic nerves were so bad that sometimes I could hardly walk across the room. Then my blood pressure started creeping up so I had to stay down all the time. I also got random things like brown spots on my chest and, Im a bit hesitant to write this, I also got warts on my feet (thankfully those went away after I had her). My weight gain also was 48 pounds, and to this day Im still hanging onto 10 of those. These are just a few of the things that were uncomfortable about my pregnancy. Anyway, my blood pressure and swelling got so bad that sometimes I would just feel like I was going to die, its hard to explain but the feeling was there. 18 days before Blondie was born I had my OB appointment. The doctor asked me if I would be opposed to coming in and being induced that night. My blood pressure wasnt going down it was just getting higher. Are you kidding me? OF COURSE NOT! So it was set up, at 7:30 I was to come in and they would start the process. I couldnt wait to tell my hunny the good news!! He took the night off work and we went in. Over all the labor wasnt to bad (as far as labors go ;o)) and she pretty much slid out of me. After 6 hours my little bundle of joy was laid in my arms screaming her tiny head off. I smiled at her through my tears, I was just SO happy that now we had TWO children and our son wouldnt have to be an only child. So, so happy. She weighed in at 5lbs 7oz. Blondie was so little (she lost over 10% of her body weight she got down to 4lbs 11oz) and her eyes were so huge they looked almost to big for her face. As her eyes turned from the baby grey to blue they were striking. Even now when shes talking to me I sometimes get lost in them because they're stunning. Her Daddy was immediately wrapped around her finger all she had to do was turn those big eyes toward him and whimper and he did her bidding. It made my heart so glad. What Blodie lacked for in size she made up for in personality. From the start I knew she would be a little firecracker. To this day she still is. When she was oneish we all went to my nieces birthday party. A lady there just watched Blondie for a long time then I heard her turn to my Sis in Law and say, "Shes tiny but shes mighty!" Haha! A perfect description of Blondie.

She sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out but shes funny and smart, shes beautiful and so sweet, she loves to cuddle and just sit on your lap. If I tickle her back she'll get goosebumps and mumble "I love you too mommy, I love you too" shes just a bundle of delightful energy. One day I know Gods going to do wonderful things with her. Someone with such a will and whose so fiercely independent cant do something minimal, shes going to do something great. She talks to loud, wakes up early, is always hungry, and can be selfish but shes our ray of bright sunshine, our child that we prayed for and hoped for and cried for. Shes our blessing from God. Shes our blue eyed Blondie. I would get up early for the rest of my life with her, because I love her.

5 comments:

  1. aww, what a wonderful post, julie! this one brought tears to my eyes. what a great reminder to cherish our little ones even through the early mornings/night wakings/sickness/whiny days. they all are such blessings from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ju...that totally brought tears to my eyes! :) So...we were talking in the nursery tonight...and the next thing I knew, we weren't...I think I took Josefine out, and you took your kids out, but I remember thinking...HEY, I was just talking to Ju...what happened? :) Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post! Julie is such a good sister to go to Wal-Mart with you at 5:30 in the morning! And welcome to the blogosphere! Hope you're having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't imagine waiting two years for a baby - how hard!!! Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, this is a beautiful post! <3 Uh, it made me cry..

    ReplyDelete