My husband has been working mandatory insanely busy hours this week which will include Saturday and now Sunday (12 hour days, hasnt had a day off in like 21 days). Ive always known that Im a bit, umm, needy? But this week has proven the patheticness of myself. He leaves in the morning and I go around in an almost depressed state for a few hours. Then I drag my unkept self (I havnt done anything to my hair, except messy buns since last week, live in my sweats, some days no make-up, etc) and the kids out to Walmart or some place like that to kill a few of the long hours. We eat super fun food like PBJ's. I count down the hours until my tired hubby comes home at 11 pm. We hang on each others words while he so sweetly talks to me for about an hour until both our eyelids are drifting shut. Then we go to bed and start the next bleak day. I always knew that I would be a horrible military wife and this just totally proves it to me. Whats even more pathetic to me is Ive done this before. When George was a baby until he was three my hubby was going to school full time and working 40-60 hours a week. So I HAVE done it. I remember times where I cried when he left because I missed him and felt so bad for how busy he was, but I dont remember being almost depressed about it! Am I getting worse with age?
Anyway, please dont think Im complaining, because Im not... Well I guess I kind of am, but not about my hubby or the work, more about myself, because I am well, pathetic. All this to say, I am SO thankful, SO thankful, that my husband has an incredible work ethic. Im also thankful for a job thats busy when a lot of places are closing their doors and there are so many unemployed people. While I miss him, I am glad that he has a good job and that our bank account is getting a huge boost do to the craziness.
On Sunday, since he just found out hes working (thankfully "only" 8 hours), we're going to go to the early service at church then go out to lunch and enjoy ourselves until he has to leave again.
I'm pretty pathetic myself. I love having my hubby around, and I'm just not myself when he's away. You're not alone.. ;-)
ReplyDeleteGirl, just because you are depressed when he is gone, does not mean you are needy. That is what marriage is. He is a part of you, and a huge part at that. I know how you feel girl. Joel has been doing 12+ hours since we got here to OK and will continue to do so till we leave probably the end of Jan. It stinks!! It is so nice to be able to just have a break from the kids and responsibility for a little bit when the hubs is around to help. Hang in there girl. This too shall pass. Call if you need someone to talk to who knows what you are going through. Joel was gone my entire last trimester with Tessa, and boy were there days when Lydia and I just hung out in our PJ's from wake till sleep. It's ok to do. :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad for you two that this shift is short lived! Will be praying for you. I understand completely there are days that I don't feel like dealing with much because my other half isn't here. Funny thing is I never wanted to marry a military man or a police officer because of the away time and the danger factor and now look who I am married to! :)
ReplyDeleteAw, I'm sure I'd be the same way!!! I know my hubby works long hours in the summer, but at least I get to see him for a few minutes a day at meals & stuff! :( Praying for you guys!!!
ReplyDeletethis post put me to shame! i was all depressed this morning after josh left at 6:30 because it was monday and it was raining out and i didn't know what to do with the kids and the hours till josh gets home kind of seemed immeasurable ..... in reality, he only works 9.5 hours (home at 4:00) so its not nearly as bad as you PLUS he does get weekends off!
ReplyDeletei do find, though, that if i plan at least 2 or 3 playdates during the week, that really helps the depressed bored feelings to flee. wish i could plan one with you this week ;)