Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Big No No!

Our sweet baby girl has had a terrible cold for about a week and a half. The poor thing. I have to suction out her nose several times a day, Ive been doing it so much that one of her nostrils has started to bleed in the corner. She had a double ear infection last week. I was both saddened and relived to hear it. At least there was a fixable solution to the fussiness. The day I went in to meet with the surgeon (about my surgery) she cried her sweet little head off for several hours. We brought her along to the appointment so the babysitter wouldnt have to worry about feeding her and what not. She cried the whole time we were there. I tried feeding her several times but she wouldnt latch on so it just made a mess of my shirt. That afternoon I took her in and found out what was causing the crying and bad eating, the double ear infection. Her cold hasnt gone away, though her ears are better. Its been wreaking havoc on her amazing sleeping skills... unfortunately. She sleeps really well the first part of the night (6ish hours) but the hour 6 lands around 2 am, which is about an hour and half after we go to bed. The whole rest of the night shes up fussing off and on. She'll start coughing so hard it chokes her, which makes me leap out of bed to check on her... Then she eats bad because shes all stuffy nosed, which makes my "nursers" get way to full for her to latch onto well, especially when shes tired. Its been vicious cycle people. All that has led to this, its just been easier this way:


It certainly made a sweet picture, didnt it?

My big no, no. When I put her in bed with us it knocks her out for hours. Hungry or not she sleeps and sleeps. Which lets me sleep and sleep. Now, Im an advocate for not sleeping with my kids. If you do it, thats your choice, but I dont because I dont want my kids crawling into bed with us at all ages. Its worked, our kids sleep in their beds every night all night long. The second reason is my husband sleeps SO hard I worry that he would roll onto the baby and not know it. Usually shes sleeping on my arm with my back to my hubby for that reason. Anyway, I had to change my sidebar description of the baby. She no longer sleeps like a champ... Maybe she will again after shes better? Thats what I get for boasting about how well she sleeps eh?

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just do what you need to do to get some sleep! And. . . you are going to love that picture of you hubby & baby girl forever. So sweet.
    I hope she feels better and gets back to sleeping good soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, we've all done it! :) I am the same way about kids sleeping in our bed - Zachary is so entrenched in his "I sleep only in my bed" attitude that he does not even like to think about sleeping anywhere else, even when he's sick & it's almost kind of sad. Natalie was such a great sleeper we never had to have her in our bed, but who knows about #3? :) Joel is uncomfortable with it because he's a pretty hard sleeper, but I'm a really light sleeper, especially when my kids make a noise - occasionally Z slept with us when he was tiny, and he always slept well, but I didn't b/c I woke up every time he moved/squirmed/breathed/etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is such a sweet picture! Surprise just looks so content snuugled up to her daddy.

    ReplyDelete