Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Our Weekend Family Getaway


Last weekend we took the kids to a water park hotel. While waiting for check in time we decided to take the kids to a 3D imax movie. R had me run inside to see what movie was playing (there was a tornado one and another one that looked like it would freak the girls out). Much to my delight they had one called "Born to Be Wild" which was about baby elephants and baby orangutans!! CUTEST IMAX MOVIE EVER!

As soon as they started the beginning on the movie I knew our sensitive girl would be freaked out. It was really loud and it looked like everything was coming right at you out of the screen. Tiny's hands went to her ears and she hunched over in fright. I was correct in my assumption. She sat on R's lap through the entire movie, covering her ears with her hands the whole time. Anyway, LOVED the movie, the 3D was super cool. George really liked it a lot too. Orangutans are my favorite animal and elephants are my second so I just thought the movie was great.

The water park hotel stay was fun. My kids are used to sleeping with some sort of white noise and I forgot to bring a fan to make some, so sleep was a bit... Stressful. Happy got up almost hourly and Blondie is a pretty light sleeper so she ended up waking really early as a result of Happy getting up. Anyway, aside from sleep issues the water play was fun. The water was kind of cold and Im a big wimp when it comes to cold water :o/ George had the time of his life though! He slept till 11:45 the morning after we got home! Kind of wore himself out! Oh another example of Tiny's sensitivity, the water park had a huge bucket that water ran into slowly. Every 15 minutes or so the water would dump and make the whole middle part of the water park be flooded with huge amounts of water. We stood at the edge of it to watch and Tiny when she saw the water and heard the noise covered her ears and ran like a frightened deer to R. Shes so funny :o) The hotel also had a normal pool that the kids had a lot of fun in. It had a very gradual slope so we didnt have to worry so much about the girls getting to deep in the water.
This weekend for Thanksgiving we are going to R's parents. They live two hours north. Then on Friday we're having a bunch of friends and family over for games and yummy finger foods. On Saturday we head out to go see R's brother in South Dakota. Its been 4 years since we've seen him. A long overdue visit I'd say. R's parents are coming with us. We head home on Sunday night. We have another hotel stay from Saturday night into Sunday, I am NOT forgetting a fan this time! I may bring some Tylenol pm or Benadryl (sp) and drug a certain baby and 5 year old... ;o)
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Fun family getaway! -And yes about the fans; I can't go anywhere without one for bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, I totally would have gone and bought a fan - we have done that before!! Sorry your night was rough, but I loved the comment about the Benadryl & Tylenol for next time. :)

    It's funny what you mentioned about Tiny being so sensitive, Z is the SAME way. I thought it would be better as he gets older, but he's almost 4 and still just very sensitive. He has been especially difficult since Davey was born, though he loves Davey and never feels any resentment, I think somehow that has made him more sensitive.

    Glad you were able to have a fun time - hope you're having a great holiday weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Hehe, that last comment...You're funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stuff of memories for years to come!

    I think taking trips with little ones is always a tug of war between "the really, really special moments I want to treasure forever" & the "I just want to go home so we can all sleep!" moments.
    I can't imagine doing it with 4!

    Good for you and Randy for taking some time to make memories.

    ReplyDelete